Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have bipolar disorder. I was taking lithium carbonate

Hi. I have bipolar disorder. I was taking lithium carbonate 1000mg.nocte. My level was maintained at between 0.6 and 0.8. I recently had a manic episode and when the lithium levels were done it was only 0.4. I take my medication religiously even during episodes so if I maintain the treatment what made the lithium levels drop. My consultant has increased the dose to 1200mg nocte with no side effects. Is there a physiological reason it dropped?
It could have been diet related.sometimes diet can interfere with itsometimes there is no good reason at all too
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. It is accurate to say that during the last manic episode my appetite diminished greatly. All I could tolerate was soup and yogurt sometimes not eating at all during the day. How does appetite affect lithium levels if the drug is metabolised in the kidneys?
It may have reduced absorption