Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I just wanted to ask are household chemicals

Hello . I just wanted to ask are household chemicals endocrine disrupters and what effects do they have ? Many Thanks , Claire .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is someone able to advise me on this subject ? This really
Would be much appreciated .
Many thanks .
Claire.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for contacting Justanswer. Which household chemicals are you concerned about and which endocrine disorder are you referring to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response . The chemicals that I was concerned about are flash bathroom spray , cillit bang foam spray , and napisan . I have been worried as explained due to me accidently using a sponge that I had used to clean with these chemicals on my baby at bath time , mistaken it for her bath sponge . I had read the link with endocrine disrupters such as these causing cancer years down the line . I read this artical online on
canceractive.com which worried me further :
Some chemicals are directly toxic. Heavy metals like cadmium are linked to kidney cancer; mercury to leukaemia. Some chemical compounds like dioxins are extremely, and directly, toxic. Other chemical compounds like phthalates, parabens and BPA can mimic the action of oestrogen when in the body and have a number of serious and negative effects. They are called xenoestrogens and are endocrine disrupters. The World Health Organisation declared in a 2013 report that they were dangerous and should be kicked out. Oestrogen has been proven since 1994 (by the NCI in the USA) to be a cause of cancer and fuels the fire .
course there are Government Safe Limits on each of these hormone disrupting chemical ingredients. But firstly, new research has recently shown some of these to be set way too high. Secondly, Governments approve chemicals in parts per million or parts per billion, but hormones are so powerful they can work at levels of parts per trillion, a thousand to a hundred thousand times less concentrated. Thirdly, Dr Ana Soto of the Tufts Cancer Centre in the USA has shown that xenoestrogens are cumulative in the body. Individually they may all be below Government safe levels - but cumulatively? Also the mutatancy of household chemicals is not known or tested . The US Cancer Prevention Coalition covers research that shows the lifetime safe toxin level is exceeded by the time a baby reaches 18 months .
This is what has really worried me . As I didn't realise I had used the sponge on my baby until the next morning therefore I hadn't rinsed her and due to her being in her baby bath there wasn't a lot of water to dilute any remaining products and she did have a rash on her skin . She was well in herself but she slept solidly without stirring after her bath for 3 hours which is out of character for her .
I wondered what your advice would be on this incident and artical I have read .
Many thanks ,
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. These chemicals need have repeated exposure to the body for them to have an effect. Our body is in a state of homeostasis. A one time exposure to any hormone or chemical will be quickly acted by the body's repair mechanisms and there will be no long lasting damage. However if the exposure to these chemicals continue then there many be hormonal disruptions as well as chemical carcinogenesis. But you need not worry about a one time exposure. Take care. Please rate the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . As explained my husband said he can't be sure that he didn't use the sponge in between me repeatedly washing the bathroom so I'm worried she may of been exposed more than once ? In the artical I read it said about the limits being set too high for these endocrine disrupters wluld that be a concern in my case ? And what does it mean may I ask when it said the mutatancy of these products isn't tested ? I'm so scared I could trigger cancer or leukemia in her body in years to come ? She did suck her hands with the bath water on where I had the sponge and she was sleepy after her bath so I'm worried this could be a sign she had ingested some chemicals ?
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. I am saying that exposure to these chemicals for a few times may cause short term effects such as a rash, however for long term effects to occur even for those chemical which are highly mutagenic there has to be repeated almost daily exposure. So no need to worry. Take care. Please rate the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you do you think these chemicals could be highly mutagenic if the mutatancy isn't known ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, If mutagenicity is not known that means that they can also have a very low mutagenicity. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok so it wouldn't affect her in the way I'm thinking ? Do you think even if she had ingested some chemicals through her skin or eyes ears and mouth and this caused her to be drowsy as she slept for so long and she had the rash . Would this still not cause long term effects such as cancer or leukemia ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes even though this has caused the local and systemic temporary short term reversible symptoms, there will be no long term complications. Take care. Please rate the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou so much . Sorry is oncology and endocrinology the same thing ? I wasn't sure that's why I wrote to both but I've just realised you answered both questions .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, No these are different subjects and one relates to cancer and the other to hormones. Take care. Please rate the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok so do you specialist in both ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I am a graduate in internal medicine and surgery and I deal with both type of patients. However you would not find any doctor who is a specialist in both. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's great thank you so much .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Please rate the answer by clicking 5 stars. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Please don't forget to rate the answer with a five star rating.
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.