Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

How high are the odds of going blind through putting hair dye

How high are the odds of going blind through putting hair dye on my eyebrows?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is extremely rare for hair dye that is carefully applied to the eyebrow to cause blindness. There has been some reported cases, even when hair dye has only been applied to the scalp, but it is very rare.
The problem with using hair dye on the eyebrows is that many hair dyes can be very irritating if the hair dye gets into the eyes themselves. And since the eyebrows are much closer to the eyes, there is concern that someone that is not cautious could accidentally get the dye in the eye and get a severe local irritation. The exact risk of this is more related to the level of caution used by the individual, rather than any intrinsic properties of the hair dye itself. In the US, the number of cases of blindness that are reported from this mechanism is also rare, but the hair dyes in this country are labeled to avoid application to the eyebrows, and it is difficult to know how many people choose to do so anyway.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.