Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

There . I don't know if you can help me . I have been

Hi there . I don't know if you can help me . I have been worrying as recently I accidently gave my baby a bath and I mistakenly used the wrong sponge . I accidently used our bath cleaning sponge by error which I had previously used to clean with bathroom
spray Ect . I panicked because I read online that household chemicals can cause cancer as there mutatancy isn't known and the limits on them are set too high for hormones ie parts. Per billion or something . I'm so worried I may of triggered something in my
babies body as it said even low levels can cause endocrine disruption due to there young developing organs . I wondered if you have any advice for me on this as I have really worried myself . Many thanks Claire .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is someone able to get back to me to discuss this ? It really would be much appreciated .
Many thanks .
Claire.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Claire,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. Basically the answer to your question is that for chemical carcinogenesis in most cases there has to be repeated exposure, and such one time exposure will not disrupt any pathway. There have to chemicals which will initiate and then there will be promoters of chemical carcinogenesis. Hence with such an isolated one time occurrence you have no need to worry and can relax now. Such accidents happen by all parents. However we need to be careful and try out best to avoid them and make the home accident free for the newborn. Take care. Please rate the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply . On speaking with my husband on this he said that he can't be sure if heat of used this sponge on my baby a couple of times aswell mistaking it for her sponge . If it was used a few more times in between me repeatedly cleaning the bathroom I'm worried this could be repeated exposure and it could trigger cancer or leukaemia ?
Do you have any further advice for me please ?
Many thanks ,
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, This repeated exposure is almost daily exposure such as in a workplace. Hence even a few more times would not count as repeated exposure. However please keep the items related to the baby separate to avoid such accidents. Also the washing with the water after using the bathroom sponge would have removed all the chemicals, hence in effect it will be chemical free and therefore there is no reason to worry. Take care. Please rate the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Woolf this be the case even though it caused s rash on her skin ?
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes even though it caused a rash on her skin, no risk of long term effects. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's good to know . Would you be concerned though that I can't be sure how much residue may of been left on the sponge ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. No I don't think this is of concern for long term complications. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you and I was worrying that because there was a mix of different chemicals possibly on the sponge that I had used could this have made them more carcinogenic ? I had read something on co carcinogens in my panic .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Even these carcinogenic chemical combination need repeated exposure and a few time exposure will not be carcinogenic. Hence please do not worry. However do take care that the house is make child safe. Take care. Please rate the answer by clicking 5 stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will do . I was so worried that I couldn't be sure how much products was left on the sponge itself. I'm really scared about leukemia especially as j read chemicals can trigger this and the cause is not always known . Do you think this could be a concern ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. No this is not a cause of concern for development of leukemia. Take care. Please rate the answer with 5 stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. May I ask one last thing in regards ***** ***** exposure information. It's just when I was reading about endocrine disrupters it said that babies are particularly vulnerable due to there developing organs and immune systems and even low doses can affect there systems if exposed early in life so I'm just afraid about this error I made incase she's been exposed to a low dose that will disrupt her ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Even hormones have to have repeated exposure for long term complications to occur such as from an endocrine organ that is secreting increased amount of hormone daily. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so the advice wouldn't be different due to her being a baby and her organs not fully developed
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes even for her the advice is the same. One time increased exposure to any hormone will have a short term effect, however no long term effect will occur. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's lovely thank you I do feel re assured . I was so worried I may trigger something in her body by this as she's so young and her little body so vulnerable . It's mad isn't it that the government let chemicals be produced over the safety limit like that artical i read was saying ? I don't understand it !
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Some of the articles are not scientifically accurate and just spread fear. Hence please by careful and only believe in articles which are published in trusted journals and websites. Take care.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Please don't forget to rate the answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes I won't be googling anymore . Would you say that artical that I was worried about isn't accurate then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there just wondering if you received my last question .
Claire .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also wanted to ask a question about perfume being an endocrine disrupter as sometimes when other people hold my baby she will smell of there perfume after ? Is this something to be concerned about ?
Many thanks again .
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Please rate the answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do but did you receive my further questions before I finish and rate. ?
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Regarding perfume, you have nothing to be concerned about and this smell will not disrupt any hormonal pathway or any other bodily process. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you it's just after she's had cuddles with grandma I can smell her perfume on her hair and hands .again it's just I read online that the ingredients in perfume isn't always known and can be disrupters ? Did you see my comment about the previous artical I read also ?
Claire.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes I did and i don't agree with it. I would not advice you to worry about the perfume. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that's good to know the article I read may not of been accurate as it really worried me . Honestly the Internet is a scary place it was saying endocrine disrupters are anything from perfume to chemicals used in non stick frying pans ! It's really worrying when you have a baby to know what's best . But surely you can't avoid all these things can you ? Im hoping I can disregard what I have read and live freely without worrying ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes please do not worry about all this fear inducing articles and warnings. These are not accurate. Take your medical knowledge only from well researched articles which quote authentic studies done to establish their thesis. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do thankyou . I don't think I will look online again when I have a concern . Cancer scares me anyway but when it said about chemicals triggering cancer in children that was it I lost my mind and really panicked . When it said about leukaemia being linked to chemical exposures then in children may I ask what does this mean ? Just so I know what to avoid in the future really . They say they don't really know what causes leukaemia don't they . That's what made me worry that an incident like mine could be a trigger if they don't know the cause .
Many thanks again ,
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There is still a lot of research that needs to be done to know the causative factors for leukemia. However we do know many causes for leukemia such as genetic causes. This is caused by defective genes. However just because we don't know all the facts about the causative factors, this does not mean that we start to worry about all the things that we use in our daily life to be the causative factors. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that makes sense thankyou . It's just so scary when you think of your own children and although i definatly feel reassured about my incident there's still part of me that just feels so afraid that she's so young when coming in to contact with these chemicals to cause the rash . I just keep thinking what if this is a trigger for leukaemia or change in the cells in her body due to her being so tiny . But in your experience do you think I can relax and feel re assured as you've said before .
Many thanks .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Being a mother I do understand your concern, however you have no reason to worry about this incident causing cancer and you can relax. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou does that mean leukaemia aswell as cancer may I ask .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes that does include leukemia as well. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou it's such a relief to feel I haven't increased her risk of either .would you say it's safe to say that . Sorry I won't bother you with anymore questions .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Yes it is safe to say this. Take care. If no further questions, then please rate the answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much . I will rate the question now sorry it has taken me so long and I kept asking questions.
This service is really good I will definatly recommend to friends . Are you based in America then ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. I am not based in America. However my qualifications as a medical graduate and specialist are verified by Justanswer. My medical degree is recognized by America. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh ok would it be recognised here in England aswell ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes it is recognised in England as well. Take care.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Please don't forget to rate the answer as well as a bonus so that I am compensated for the time I took to answer your question.
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.