Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

There, im feeling slightly dizzy and under the weather.

Customer Question

hello there, im feeling slightly dizzy and under the weather. can you help me to try and figure out whats wrong?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
We certainly can discuss the most common causes of symtoms and whether there are any home interventions that can be tried before seeing a doctor. However, a specific diagnosis can only be made after a proper evaluation, which cannot be done over the internet.
The first step, though, would be some discussion of the details of your symptoms.
Is the dizziness a sensation of spinning or of lightheadedness?
How long has this been bothering you?
Do you have any chronic medical problems or take any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thats fine i just would like some possibilities, im seeing a doctor tomorroeno its not spinning its sort and like a blurry unreal (not there feeling)I have felt like this for around a week now.no chronic problems or medications
Thank you for the additional information.
The most common cause of feeling under the weather associated with a sense of imbalance or unsteadiness that has been present for a week would be a viral infection. In reality, this can be a non-specific response to a variety of infections, but when there is no other predominant symptom, it would be more commonly related to a viral infection.
While the symptom can occur as a direct effect of the infection, it can also be related to low levels of fluid related to the infection, even if not overtly dehydrated. Most infections will increase fluid demands, so is associated with low levels of fluid in the body. One of the general recommendations for most acute infections would be to increase fluid intake to assure good hydration, and this can help to ease some of these symptoms.
There are many other conditions that can lower blood pressure or blood sugar that can cause the symptoms that you describe, but most of these problems will cause chronic problems, rather than only a week of symptoms. Obviously, anyone that has had symptoms for a year must have had a point in time when the symptoms were only present for a week, but it is still much more likely that symptoms for a week is due to an acute illness, and a viral infection would be the most common if there are no other symptoms to suggest another infection.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there are no other symptoms except this unreal weird feeling. however I am worried about it. I just feel like everything is dark and things are far away. its such a weird sensation and quite scary.my main fear is that this is something serious... what are the chances?
It is much less likely that it is anything serious. There are some acute infections that can be serious, but there usually would be other symptoms present.
It is also possible that dehydration can get to a serious level, but it is a low risk that such levels of dehydration will occur.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
so would there always be other symptoms present if serious?I just cant settle im that scared something is happening to me.what tests would you suggest should be done with doctor?
Yes, there would generally be other symptoms present is a serious medical condition is present.
The determination of which tests would be appropriate would depend also upon what is found on exam. A general chemistry profile and blood count would be the tests that would be most commonly needed, but since the exam will guide further testing, it cannot be stated with certainty what tests will be indicated.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know it might sound stupid but I cant stop feeling like im dyingdo you not think this is likely
It would be very unlikely that you are dying, but if you feel that this symptom is so bad that it is life threatening, then you should be seen in an Emergency Room now, rather than waiting until you see your doctor tomorrow.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just feel completely spaced out that's the only symptom I havewill this kill me if I wait to go to docs tomorrow?
As I said above, it would be very unlikely that you are dying, but if you feel that this symptom is so bad that it is life threatening, then you should be seen in an Emergency Room now, rather than waiting until you see your doctor tomorrow.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok so to finish off what is an acute infection?also what are thwe chances of this being cancer or brain disease?
Any infection that is of short duration, which is the vast majority of infections.
Since cancer and brain disease are serious conditions, they would be included in the low likelihood of anything serious that we discussed above.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what sort of symptoms would be present if serious?
There are far too many symptoms to list. You make decisions based on the symptoms that you have, not the symptoms that may occur from the entire list of serious conditions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im sorry im just worried. so do you think the doctor will be able to help me tomorrow?
Yes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
could this symptom be related to anxiety?
Virtually every subjective symptom can be related to anxiety, but we usually do not consider anxiety as a cause until other conditions have been excluded.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have felt like this I the past at least 5 separate occasions and after a few months it as jut gone.it always feels worse and different every time though
If you were diagnosed with anxiety during these previous episodes, then that would increase the likelihood that this is also from anxiety.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was diagnosed, I had every test going and they couldn't find anthing wrong with me. I had a baby back in april aswell
Consistent with what I said above, they also took the approach of excluding other possible causes, so the previous diagnoses sound appropriate, and there is an increased likelihood that this episode is also related to anxiety.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what is the likelihood of test results changing since april?
It depends on the test and the findings on examination, but there are many tests that may change during acute illnesses.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do you think I will be ok?
Yes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
im having trouble sleeping at night aswell coz scared im not going to wake up.what can I do about this?
It would be OK to take an over the counter sleep medicine, such as diphenhydramine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the problem is have a baby that wakes up during night, all I want is to stop feeling so spaced out, how can I stop being so scared?
There is no over the counter medicine to help with that. It is fine to perform self-relaxation techniques at home, but these do not come naturally to anxious people, so are usually learned from your doctor, a counselor, or a dedicated class, such as a yoga class.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes it definitely doesn't come naturally. I just keep thinking im going to die any minute and it terrifies me. would that appn with any illness (obviously except heart attacks etc)?
There are obviously other conditions that can cause death, but they are not a concern with these symptoms.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
so you don't think I have anything that would cause death suddenly for me to worry about? do you think I don't need to worry?
I have already answered that question.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
im sorry im just scared
I understand that, but there is no value in being repetitious. If you desire the reassurance of reading the answer again, you can scroll up and read the answer as many times as you need for reassurance.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
im scared im going to die and leavemy baby boy hs only 8 months old
Then go to the Emergency Room.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cant I have my baby and Im all alone. do you think I need to go now?
I have already answered that above.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
so is that yes I don't know which bit we are referring to
I am referring to all of the above.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ive managed to get in docs this afternoon
Very good.
Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.