Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

I am told that my Granddaughter has been diagnosed as having

I am told that my Granddaughter has been diagnosed as having "Sim". Can you tell me what this is and how its treated please ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Can you please let me know what symptoms she has?Since how long is she sick?Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About a year ago she was very ill and was diagnosed with "Sim", as a result of which she now has astma and a compromised immune system. This results in the fact that she is always getting chest and other infections. She ocasionally uses an inhaler.
She has always been a very hyper-active child with destructive tendencies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is now nearly 3 years old
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, SIM is not a common abbreviation, Could you please try to find out if you got the word right or if there is a different term for it? Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will attempt to find out from my son, but as he and his girlfriend are now separated (and not amicably) it may take a little while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now got to the bottom of it, my sons girlfriend was using sim as a shortened form of similar ! So she has frequent chest infections which have affected her immune system and make her susceptible to frequent repeat infection. She uses an inhaler. She is also very hyperactive with marked destructive tendencies. Any thoughts ?
Tahnk you. Since "similar" is no condition I can try to help you concerning the symptoms. Or do you look for a homoeopathic remedy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please, help with the symptoms would be great
You are welcome! Asthma is a chronic condition and leads to a constant inflammation which damages the bronchial system and afflicts the immune system if not properly treated. First and foremost it should be found out if its an allergic asthma and to stay way from the triggers (like cats, special plants or whatever is found). Any asthma, if allergic or not, has to be treated consequently. If your granddaughter suffers from dyspnea nearly every day, she should use her inhaler daily. Only when treated with anti- inflammatous medication consistently her bronchial system will not constrict or catch every cold around. Only if she has dyspnea only now and then it is enough to use the inhaler once in a while. The parents should have her seen by her doctor regularily and even with a common cold, to listen to her chest and find out about (and treat) bronchial constriction.Well treated this condition ist not much of a problem and can disappear while growing up. It is not related to a child's temper.I wish her all the best!
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience: Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.