Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have major health anxiety and just wondering as to whether

I have major health anxiety and just wondering as to whether you can contract HIV from blood on a surface, touching a small cut on your thumb?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. This is unlikely to occur since the virus can only be viable as long as the blood stays liquid, as a rough estimate. The exposure to the air would destroy the virus. Hence no need at all to worry. Also you need to know that there have been no documented cases of HIV transmission via this route. However you do need to consult your doctor for adequate treatment of anxiety with medications and/or therapy. Take care. Please rate the answer by clicking five stars. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr, I've suffered with this anxiety since the incident happened about 5 years ago due to things happening such as my glands coming up etc. So there is definitely no way contraction could be possible?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Yes, transmission due to contact with blood on a surface is not possible and you need not worry about HIV due to this incident. However if you have any symptoms such as enlargement of glands which may be due to other causes as well you need to consult your doctor. This is particularly true if there are persistent enlarged glands. Take care.