Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I haven't been able to swallow food properly years

Customer Question

I haven't been able to swallow food properly for 3 years , but since then I'm having really bad memory problems ie forgot the names of my best mate children , getting lost in my own town & not be able to recall the names of major celbraties & spots stars that I know really well , I'm 43.but with my dysphasia I'm sure it's dementia i have
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.These seem more like depression and anxiety symptoms. I would not suspect dementia at your age and that too this sudden in onset. There is a need for more thorough investigation and detailed evaluation before this can be labelled as dementia.Let me know if there are any queries related to this.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That was just a short list , I went to my sons football & they won 15-0 & he scored 3 goals , my son was upset & conserned as how could I not remember any of it only him telling me so , i don't remember 1 single thing not even were the game was , but 15 -0 is a disstintive memory & even when I'm told about it , it still is a non event for me , plus it took me 2 hrs to put Kylie manogue name to her picture when she appeared on TV & (of course I know priministers name ) but the whole of yesterday I couldn't think of his name, can you really put that down to depression about my sons football , plus I got lost in local shopping centre & girlfriend had to find me, that doesn't seam like depression to me
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I would like to investigate for organic lesions rather than blame this on Alzheimer's or Dementia.
I understand your problem and your concern is a genuine one. But the best course of action will be to seek help from a Neurologist first.
A complete Neurological examination plus a CT scan is in order here.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With this organic lesions will or can it pass , I did take a serious overdose 10 weeks ago due to all this & was on life support machine for 2 days , do you think it's caused permenment damage or caused the organic lesions
Yes, it could have caused some damage and it is difficult to say without any investigation if the damage is present and if present permanent or transient.It will be in your best interest to see your Neurologist as soon as possible.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I have had symptoms 10 months now & it's getting worse , it feels like dementia but if it is organic lesions wouldn't I have shown signs of improvement by now if I was going to improve , would you agree with this
No, that would depend on whether the lesion is healing or progressing. This is all just speculation.
Getting an opinion and an evaluation by your doctor would be best.
Please leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a appointment with neurologist on the 30th , but even if it's organic lesion it doesn't seam the outcome is any better than dementia , but as test showed 3 yrs ago when I was completely well my swallowing isn't right , x rays showed the milk stuff pooling , every time I eat my food sticks to my throat , this is why I believe it's dysphasia as it links my throat problem to my memory ,as I said I couldn't name the prime minister & I got lost in local shopping centre & girlfriend had to find me , & dysphasia causes dementia or vice versa
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Plus if I look at the time , I can't guess the time half hour later as I can't remember what the time was when I looked at it
Dementia has no treatment, it is a progressive disease and is debilitating. It is a grave diagnosis.
Organic lesions are treatable.
Best.