Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Started taking sertraline a few weeks ago and since have been

Customer Question

Started taking sertraline a few weeks ago and since have been very anxious/tense/angry almost like i feel like i am going to explode. This happened previously when i took these pills a year or so ago but my GP never listens or i never say the right thing i don't know, but feel like i may end up in trouble on these pills again. what should i do? or is this normal
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.You are not tolerating sertraline well.Hence better to stop it.Diferrent medication like a mood stabilizer will suit you well.Valproate, or aripiprazole can be considered.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a mood stabilizer has been mentioned in the past but in the UK they are funny about general practitioners prescribing this so it has never happened and every time i see a psychiatrist my mood changes that often that but the time i am given an appointment i don't go or o do and they just say come back in six weeks. i just don't know what to do anymore
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
It is in your best interest to keep the psychiatrist appointment.At least you should avoid taking sertraline or any SSRI antidepressant which can make your symptoms worse --not helpful.Psychotherapy can be tried also meanwhile.Valproate can be prescribed by your GP also. Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but they helped, the sertraline helped, i was really depressed and it made me feel better but now i feel like i might kill someone, not myself anymore someone else
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Ok --so you likely have depression as well besides mood swings.Probably it is better to lower serttaline dose in that case to 25 mg daily for example.If that is also not tolerated then you need stop it for now.And if depression reappears you can try a different SSRI like citalopram which is little different from sertraline although in similar class.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, well do you think it would be best to stop taking it right now until i see my own doctor or will that make things worse?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
You will need to lower the dose first and stay on it for a week and then can stop it to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why do you do this anyway? like on here?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
this is an outlet to help people and also enhance my reputation ( good or bad :)like facebook social media --embrace the power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you a real doctor though?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am with lots of experience Board certified in US.You can check my credentials verified by the company.