Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I have from about 4 months ago, had spots of non growth of

I have from about 4 months ago, had spots of non growth of beard hair. There were originally two spots that were the size of penny coins. They have now come together. The skin is In fine shape and smooth. The two areas are increasing in size slowly. I am under a lot of stress in my life and perhaps this is the cause. There are some hairs growing back in the bald patches that are grey. Any ideas? The skin is fine but just bald patching on the beard area.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
hi there,i am online and will be happy to answer your questions.thank you for your patience. can you please send me a picture of that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive the picture? I'm not sure if I did this correctly.

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
thank you for picturesthank you for your patience.this is called alopecia areata. Alopecia areata is a chronic, relapsing immune-mediated inflammatory disorder affecting hair follicles resulting in nonscarring hair loss.A variety of topical, intralesional, and systemic agents, as well as devices, have been used for alopecia areata, but the response to treatment varies widelyI recommend using intralesional steroids which are effective in most cases.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
If intradermal or topical corticosteroid therapy produces an inadequate response, we suggest a trial of topical 5% minoxidil either alone or in combination with continued corticosteroid therapy
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
please let me know if i should provide further clarification/ if you have more questions. thanks I am here to help you and I wish you best health,if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800Thanks for using justanswer.com