Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was given a diagnosis of sciatica last week as I had started

I was given a diagnosis of sciatica last week as I had started to get a pain in my back when I got out of bed and was told to take paracetamol and Ibuprofen. The pain has become worse and is starting to be bad during the day. I lead an active lifestyle including dog walking. It is now agony to get out of bed. A friend has suggested a masseur but I am worried that if it is caused by spinal problems it could damage it further. Should I go back to my doctor first.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It would be fine to receive a massage that is of limited intensity without seeing your doctor again. Massage of the muscles the overly the spine may help to ease pain and muscle spasm and is safe if there is an underlying spine problem. There is concern about a deeper massage that also pushes pressure on the bony components of the spine, because this may exacerbate certain types of spine problems, and until the status of the spine is determined, a deeper massage should be avoided.
It also may help to use other local care, such as ice and moist heat. And a variant of ice massage also may help to ease muscles. One of the methods to more easily do ice massage would be to freeze water in small paper or insulated cups, and then a strip of the cup can be torn around the top to expose the ice. Then the cup can be held to perform the ice massage, again of the muscles overlying the back. This is obviously something that you cannot easily do yourself, but if there is someone that can help you, this would also be fine.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.