DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had pain in lower adbomen last few days, since

Customer Question

I have had pain in lower adbomen for the last few days, since Wednesday (very mild ocassional cramp on Wednesday) gradually getting worse each day. The pain runs right along my abdomen at about the position my trousers belt would sit, it almost feels like there is a "shelf" there which is painful. It is tender to the touch. Ocassionally I do have an ache in my testicles as well but the pain from my abdomen is stronger so it is hard to tell.
I have been able to sleep the last couple of nights unless I needed to urinate in which case the pain would wake me up and having a full bladder does seem to increase the pain/discomfort. My urine is quite a bit darker than normal although I am drinking fluids normally.
The pain ranges from a dull ache (5 or 6 out of 10) up to sharp stabbing or cramping (maybe 7 or 8 out of 10). I last had a normal bowel movement on Thursday and today I have passed small bullet size stools with mucus a couple of times. I am passing wind fairly frequently which often does reduce any discomfort for a while.
I have been taking paracetamol which barely touches the pain at all and when it is most severe I have taken 30mg dihydracodeine, which virtually removed the pain yesterday but is not seeming to make much difference to it today. Lying on my side in bed seemed to remove all pain to allow me to sleep last couple of nights but tonight the pain seems to have moved slightly lower and I can no longer seem to get relief lying on my side.
In October I had Norovirus or something similar. Along with vomitting I also had a lot of bright red blood in diahorrea for less than 24 hours. It took me a long time to recover from this - virtually 3 weeks - before my bowel movements were back to normal and I had a stool sample done which apparently showed nothing unusual.
I am not feeling sick and have not vomitted although I did feel a little cold/shivery the first night this started. I am eating and have an appetite but would say that I'm not eating the amounts I would normally eat.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
]I am not sure what medical question you are asking, but this could be kidney stones, appendicitis, diverticulitis or something equally serious.
It is not normal at all, and it is not a home treatment or wait it out situation.
I suggest A&E at this point.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.