Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have recently noticed in my right breast a slight lumpish

Customer Question

Hi .. I have recently noticed in my right breast a slight lumpish feeling, hard to describe and determine it but I do have lumpy bumpy breasts in general, I'm 24 Iv had 2 breast scans in the past and have both shown normal breast tissue, when feeling for this standing up it is not prominent as such, when I lie down to examine my breasts I can't feel it just muscle or the chest wall I don't know if it's tissue or should I have an examination ? I'm just fearful thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

it sounds like you have a history of lumpy bumpy breast

at your age, it would be very unlikely that the lumps you are feeling in your breast are due to breast cancer.

if doing self breast exams is too anxiety provoking, then you should stop doing self breast exams.

when you lie down, gravity flatens your breast out and makes things eaiser to feel

it doens't sound like you have anything to be fearful about

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I found a fatty lump in my breast going back 12 months ago I have been very fearful ever since, the lump was just put down to normal breast tissue. Since then I do regular examinations. I'm assuming if this lump was serious I would be able to feel it in every position??, I do have some hard areas in my breast and some fatty lumps too, this lump is hard for me to determine whether it's a lump or just tissue, but as I said before i can't locate it when lying down.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
breast cancer masses you can feel in any position you are in.

your prior scans have been negative

I bet you are feeling a gland or fatty lump which is normal for your breast

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks I think I'm ready to rate now.. Just one last thing it's pretty firm what I'm feeling could that be a gland still? It's just next to the Brest bone so in not sure if it's muscular?..
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it could be a gland in your breast or structural tissue or stromal tissue next to the breast bone.

show it to your doctor what you are feeling

but I bet they will say it is normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm finding its when I raise my arm behind my head I can feel it then, a firmness of some kind but when I lie down flat I can not locate any lump.. And I have no other symptoms, just so scared over it, yet when I just press against my breasts gently everything seems normal, would a suspicious lump be easy feel underneath the skin?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I have have told you that already

you really should stop doing self breast exams

it is only just worsening your anxiety.