Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I am very worried about Pancreatis acute & chronic as well

I am very worried about Pancreatis acute & chronic as well as pancreatic cancer I would like to talk about some of symptoms I have.
For the last 3 weeks I have had pain on my left side around my 10th rib, when I say side I actually mean side not front left but the side of my body. The pain is minor and feels like a muscle pain but it's there constantly so has led me to panic about the symptoms. I went to the hospital a week ago we performed an ECG, Blood test, Blood pressure & chest X-RAY all came back fine, I also went to my Doctors on Monday of this week and he didn't have any cause for concern with the tests I have already had. However I am developing some additional Symptoms which are a sharp pain under my left rib / left stomach area especially if I breath in quite a lot or bend over, not every time but some times.
I don't have any other symptoms apart from the abdominal pain but the pain is a cause for concern to me. I don't feel worse after I've eaten or drunk alcohol, my urine is normal colour and I have no jundice but I do have pain so I'm understandably worried. Can you help?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
This is pleuritic pain. It is pain in the rib cage that is irritated by movement and breathing. Pleritic pain is sometimes due to lung disease but you have had a chest xray. In young people, it is usually due to inflamation of the nerves and muscles between the ribs, called costocondritis. It is quite common. I think pancreatic cancer or pancreatitis is not a concern since you have had normal blood work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you get pain under the rib cage with Costochondritis or intercostal muscle strain As its to do with the cartilage I thought that pain was always on the rib area not underneath or can you get referred pain?
Just so worried about the pancreas area
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Yes your pain is consistent with rib cage pain. No idea why you would worry about pancreatitis when your blood work is normal. Its not possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what could be the problem then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
If you look at my answer above, you will see that I explained the most common cause of the problem in young people