DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have dark spots on the tip of my tongue and along the sides

I have dark spots on the tip of my tongue and along the sides of my tongue. I also have a deep crack that has appeared down the centre of my tongue which travels from the middle of my tongue to the tip. What are the possible issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added some pictures. Thanks, Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for query,It seems like hyper pigmentation of tongue which is usually caused by its own as genetic trait but there are other causes like fungal infection and excessive use of tobacco and alcohol and certain medications like iron and bismuth can cause such dark spots. I would suggest to get it examined by your doctor so that any infectious cause can be ruled out. If iron medication,excessive tobacco and alcohol use is the cause then avoiding such substances can improve these spots.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. Why is there a crack in my tongue?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reply,Crack in the tongue can be because of genetic reasons and other causes including trauma and biotin vitamin B deficiency. You can take vitamin B supplements.Please do leave a positive rating.Best.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is doctor Thomas, a double board certified clinical doctor. A different expert.Brown spots on the tongue can be serious or not serious.You need a magnified exam from your doctor at this point.It is very important for the doctor to rule out melanoma, for example, and hence I would have this examined this week as possible.A fissure is usually not a sign of a serious problem, and can be a normal finding.Or, allergy, dehydration and other causes. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.