How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 45922
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I have had swelling mainly in my left ankle since returning

Customer Question

I have had swelling mainly in my left ankle since returning on a long haul flight from Mexico. I have had bloating in my stomach, swollen ankles & swelling under my eyes! Fatigue & a general feeling of being unwell. I was bitten severely when out in cancun and required meds due to large swelling on my legs. I am not sure if related. I have been back in the UK since July. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
swelling in one leg after a long flight can be a sign of a DVT deep venous blood clot in the lower leg
you need to see a doctor to get an ultrasound of the leg to check for blood clot.
also another possibility is that your prior infection in your leg caused damage to your lymphatic system in your leg
have you had an ultrasound of your leg yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for your response. No I haven't had ultrasound yet. I had a blood test when I came back to the UK in July but it didn't show anything. I think they checked for DVT. Swelling gets worse at night. I was referred to the vascular team a month ago & still waiting for an appointment. I am worried about how long everything is taking!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also had 2 sessions of acupuncture
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
an ultrasound of the leg and ankle is the best way to check for blood clots
that is good you have an appointment to see a vascular doctor.
you have options to go to see a private doctor in the UK, but that can be more expensive than seeing an NHS doctor.
ask your GP doctor to order a doppler ultrasound of your leg to check for blood clots and to check blood flow in your leg
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
Thanks for using
Dr. David and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! You are brilliant!!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome
please leave positive feedback
so I can get credit for helping you
do you see the ratings area?

Related Medical Questions