DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My feet seam swollen and puffy, why is this happening?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
swelling in the feet can be from many potential causes.
it can be due to eating too much salt which can cause fluid retention. eating out at restaurants can cause more salt in your diet.
new weakness of your liver or kidneys or new heart weakness can cause swelling and edema in your feet.
you need to see a doctor right away and get testing of your heart, liver and kidneys to see if you have new problems with your organs
you should elevate up your legs up above your heart in a recliner to help reduce fluid and edema in your feet
there is also a super small chance of a blood clot in your feet and legs causing swelling
some doctors here online would tell you to go to the ER to get ultrasound testing of your legs and feet to check for small blood clots
do you have a hospital or ER or urgent care center where you can be seen by a doctor?
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiThe most common cause is bad veins in the legs.Doppler ultrasound is needed.Too much salt does not cause this in the absence of other disease.Following that, if no other symptoms, hypothyroid.The, liver or kidney disease, kidney more often.Then lymph obsctruction...not likely here.I would say if this is new, then you need an exam now.However, swelling on both sides implies a systemic reason, not usually clot. But, if left go, it does possibly predispose you to clotting.I am a double board certified clinical doctor.Find me anytime in medical for complete answers, accurate, safe, precise and comprehensive as well as up to date.Please click a positive rating for Dr. ThomasFind me anytime in medical by request.