Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

I've just found out I'm 16 weeks pregnant. .I have very irregular

Customer Question

I've just found out I'm 16 weeks pregnant. .I have very irregular periods. baby looked great at scan and midwives happy...but ive been drinking without knowing im pregnant. a bottle of wine a night 5 nights a week. in never drunk and drink very slow...I eat well and I take multi vits with folic acid and vit d anyway ...should everything be ok...ive stopped drinking now. ..ive don't smoke and im low risk with nuchal fold at 1.4 mm
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm very sorry to hear about the chronic alcohol exposure to your baby. With 1 bottle of wine nightly, it's very hard to say if your baby will be ok or not. If everything looks normal on ultrasound, then perhaps the full blown fetal alcohol syndrome will be avoided. After that's it's more subtle. We don't know of a safer low limit of alcohol intake. Alcohol intake in pregnancy is very likely to cause changes in the function of the nervous system. There may be some changes in behavior, learning and ability to control emotions with high levels of alcohol intake. Much of this effect can be corrected with providing a very supportive loving environment for the baby after birth. This includes a lot of reading and one on one attention to explaining the environment and how healthy interactions between people are developed. Children may need extra help negotiating frustration and emotional processing. But it's very unpredictable. There is no way of knowing a head of time if your baby will actually be super with no problems or need extra help as I've described. The most important thing is that you stop drinking now and let your OB know what has been going on. Then after the babies birth, to let the pediatrician know about your concerns. That way they can be more alert to signs of problems. If there are problems, the soon er they are recognized, the sooner the correct treatment can be started and the better the long term outcome for the love of your life, your baby. I hope this information has been helpful.