Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I AM CURRENTLY TAKING 75MG hELIPERIDOL DEPOT ALONG WITH ARRIPRAPIZOLE

Customer Question

i AM CURRENTLY TAKING 75MG hELIPERIDOL DEPOT ALONG WITH ARRIPRAPIZOLE 10MG TABLETS FOR SOME MONTHS BUT I WANT TO WEAN MYSELF GRADUALLY OFF THE 10MG ARRIPRAPIZOLE TABLE, CUS IT MAKING ME RESTLESS, CAN YOU HELP ME TAPER THE ARRIPRAZOLE 10MG TABLETS SAFELY
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 11 months ago.
HelloNOOnly your doctor can do this.Has your doctor told you to stop this medication?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, but the medication is making me restless and i find it difficult to wake up from bed
OK
You need to tel your doctor this.
He can change the medication, taper it, etc.
Stopping a medication is done differently by each doctor, depending on knowledge and care of the patient.
You should not do this without your doctors help and knowledge.
And, you should not go on line to get advice to go around your doctors prescriptions: we do not replace your doctors visit or advice. We answer medical questions.
The answer her is that how this medication is tapered or changed depends on the prescribing doctors knowledge of you.
Anything else is not safe.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no but the medication is making me restless and i been on 10mg for few months which is a low dose so with that dose i don't think there will be any risk but if i was your patient with this information what will you do
You are not my patient.
And it depends on the exact characteristics of the individual.
It could be making you feel this way, for example, because of its interaction with halperidol.
Then I have to decide which drug is more important, and I might stop the halperidol.
Or taper it.
In any case, it is not an addicting drug. The most likely problem is an abrupt return of your symptoms that it is treating....and that is a problem.
It can be stopped without tapering under close monitoring...by your doctor.
OR tapered if you react badly.
And the taper is done differently by each doctor, often for each patient.
Talk with your doctor.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The haliperidol i am on is a depot 75mg but they have cut it down to 50mg halepiridol, but the main medication that is causing me the restlessness is the 10mg Arripripizole and that is the one i want to come off, and i am your patientt at current cus i am paying for the service.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you havn't respond to my last question
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello are you there, you havn't respond to my last question
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello dr thomas are you there you havn't respond to my last question
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.
The other expert has opted out, but his answer is correct. If you are having side effects to the drug, it is appropriate to consider tapering off the drug. However, it should be approached from the overall treatment for your condition. In someone with more significant disease, it is frequently necessary to start an alternative medicine, rather than just tapering the drug. So, it would be better to taper off the drug after discussion with your doctor and the decision of whether an alternative drug is appropriate is decided.
Please remember to click a positive rating once our discussion is complete.