Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a fall 4 days ago resulting in a lump just above my forehead

Customer Question

I had a fall 4 days ago resulting in a lump just above my forehead which didn't bleed. I now have a very swollen black eye. Should I be worried and be seeking medical help.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.The bump is likely a hematoma (collection of blood) due to the trauma. The black eye is a consequence of the bleed that occurred in the soft tissue and is the norm after such an injury. Since, there is loose tissue around the eyes and the area is dependent. The blood trickles in the tissues down to the most dependent part under influence of gravity and causes the periorbita to appear bruised and swollen.It has been four days and you have had no neurological deficit, so this is not an emergency any longer. You should seek medical attention from your GP or PCP on appointment.Mean while, I suggest that you massage the area with the bump thrice or four times a day with vaseline or any oil based moisturizer.This can take as long as 2 weeks to settle and for the discoloration to go away.If there is pain then you can take Tylenol 2 tablets 6 to 8 hours a day.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.