Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

If it is de conditioning how do I condition myself if exertion

Customer Question

If it is de conditioning how do I condition myself if exertion tires me out?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Did you try a slow approach to exercise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what you would consider to be a slow start but my job is an active one and doesn't allow me to be slow. The first three hours are solid activity. Not necessarily high levels of exertion all the time but on my feet or knees for the whole time. On my days off I spend more time sitting down but try to do some activities like a short walk. I don't think I can work and do other exercises. How can I be deconditioned?.

Your body is getting used to the job but you need to do things that will make it better that it isn't used to.I would start with 30 min of cardiovascular exercise per day. Fast walking countsCam I ask what your job is exactly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I work for The National Trust, near Stratford upon Avon in England. My 3hours is spent cleaning up after the visitors from the day before. The house and outbuildings involved are big. There are 29 stairs to climb from the ground floor to the first floor and the great Hall is more than twice the size of the bungalow I live in. The trouble is that I am not coping with the 3 hours any more. Three times up two steps in the office and my legs are tired. Add a vacuum cleaner and on one occasion I nearly fell, I dropped the vacuum cleaner and saved myself. But these muscles recover with a bit of normal walking, until the next time.

Maybe something else is wrong Judith.Have you had blood tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Due to having had (now in remission) a lupus like auto immune disorder I have my full blood count, liver, bone, thyroid and crp done every 6 months and they are all normal. And after several other tests I have been told that I do not have a neuromuscular disorder. Which is good but doesn't solve anything for me.

what about your heart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nobody has ever considered a heart problem. What sort of heart problems would be associated with my symptoms?

heart problems can cause just decreased exercise tolerance sometimes Nothing else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a Dr appointment on Tuesday, I shall ask about it. I think I may have a bit of venous insufficiency, especially in my right leg after suffering a DVT 12 years ago but if that could cause muscle fatigue it wouldn't affect my arms would it?

No, that would not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to look things up on Internet. I am not the sort that sees the worst possible scenario and panics, I like to explore all avenues. What are the chances of it being ME?

very possible.this is common in autoimmune folks like you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all your helpful answers. Can I get back to you if I think of anything else on the subject?

sure :) good luck sorry about the late replies. We haven't had power for 3 days and just got it back on so I was using my phone intermittently and things were quite chaotic