DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Unable to eat dinner, started bring up clear pheme from my

Customer Question

Unable to eat dinner, started bring up clear pheme from my chest for 25minutes , unable to swallow as a result . Male 70 years. has occured from time to time. worst now.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry you are not able to eat dinner
it sounds like you most likely have a viral infection or flu infection which can cause you to loose appetite and to cough up phlegm.
you should see a doctor at the hospital and get your phlegm checked for bacterial infection with a sputum culture.
you should get a chest xray there as well
you might need a course of antibiotics if you have a bacterial lung infection like pneumonia or bronchitis.
there are medications which can help calm down cough and can help thin your mucus and phlegm as well
but you have to see a doctor first
do you have a hospital or ER or A&E department or urgent care center close to you where you can see a doctor today?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is a different expert with a different answer.You are not describing symptoms of a viral infection or flu.This has happened in the past, and it is consistent with reflux of acid and a problem with the esophagus....potentially a stricture which has become bad enough to prevent you from swallowing.This should be examined now. There is no choice in delaying examination given what you describe.Simply go to A&E, that is perfectly justified.You might need a scope to dilate the blockage, and to biopsy and suspicious areas.The danger her also is aspiration pneumonia with this situation.I am a double board certified clinical doctor.Find me, Dr. Thomas, anytime in medical for correct answers.Please click a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanks I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers. You can save time this way: find me for correct, safe, medically up to date and clinically accurate answers.I am here 7 days a week 9am to 9pm EST.