Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had flu-like symptoms since last Sunday, which have largely

I had flu-like symptoms since last Sunday, which have largely disappeared. But in the meantime, I have not been able to sleep at all since then and was in the hospital on Thursday for pounding heart and shortness of breath. They gave me Co-dydramol. I took 1 tablet on Thursday at 3pm and had the most terrible side effects, including trembling, etc. Hoping that it might make me sleepy I took 10 drops of Zyrtec Thursday night and since then my mouth is exceptionally dry and I still am not able to sleep. Is this sleep deprivation due to the side effect of the medication (during the week I had also taken decongestant, Ibuprofen and Amoxilin, all of which I stopped on Wednesday). My main complaint is not being able to sleep at the moment - it's been 6 days without sleep.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Six days without sleep is a huge number of days.
I would strongly recommend that you be seen ASAP to have a sleep medication prescribed.
If you cannot get a sleep medication, you can try taking some over-the-counter antihistamines like benadryl which has sleep as a side effect and can be used to induce sleep.
You DO need serious number of hours of sleep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your reply. I'm very concerned about putting in any more medication into my body at the moment as I seem to get the worst side effects. My husband got some Nytol pills the other day over the counter but I couldn't take them after reading the possible side effects. Is the dryness of my mouth caused by prior Co-dydramol and Zyrtec and when will it go away? The antihistamine Zyrtec had a completely adverse effect and seems to have made my sleeplessness worse, so I'm concerned about other antihistaminics as well.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Nytol is the same thing that I mentioned but with a different brand.
It is an extremely safe medication.
The only thing that you need to do is take the medication without reading about the side effects :)
Any serious side effects are rare with it.
Yes dryness is a side effect that can happen with both the medications that you took and will go away in due course of time.
Zyrtec actually does not cause sleepiness, however nytol is known to cause sleepiness.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I take the Nytol now - it says to take it at night as a night time sleep aid? And can I take one - it says to take two but would one tablet work? I'm sorry, I'm still concerned about possible side effects; sleep deprivation is also causing anxiety as one would expect.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
If you want to sleep now you can take it now.For sleep it is preferable to take two but even one can work.Let me know if you have more questions.I would appreciate it if you rate me before we proceed.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Would you advise me to try to take Nytol now and hopefully sleep now or wait till night time again? How can I send an additional 'thank you' token please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I've just seen the 'tip' page. I sent it already. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Well, if you want to sleep now, then there is absolutely no reason why you should not take it now rather than taking it before going to sleep.
You can add a "bonus" if you wish to send an additional thank you token.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. How can I add a bonus please?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I think that you already have added a bonus.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your help. I'm most grateful. I'll write a quick note hopefully after having slept today. I'll send another bonus to show my huge appreciation for the assurance you provided.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are always welcome.
You can always contact me on here.
If you want to talk to me over the phone you can always accept the additional services offer.
Kindest regards