Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a numbness down left side of the body. I am not confused

Hi I have a numbness down left side of the body. I am not confused nor do I have any paralasis my face has not dropped and can move all parts of my arms and legs. My eye sight is normal I have no issues with smell taste or hearing.
I had a hip replacement three weeks ago and I have been taking asprin.
These symptons have persisted for about twenty hours. what should I do?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
The best thing to do is to have a CT scan or preferably a MRI done to be sure that we rule out a stroke.
Although your symptoms are not typical of a typical of a stroke i.e. a stroke would usually also have weakness in the arm or limb as well but a minor stroke can cause symptoms like what you are experiencing.
So I would definitely recommend having a MRI done if you have not had that done already.
I would also check your vitamin B12 levels and a TSH level done.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is TSH
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
TSH stands for thyroid stimulating hormone.
This test is done to check the function of your thyroid gland.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would this cause the symptoms that I currently have also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you also explain what a minor stroke is and the underlying symptoms for this condition?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Low thyroid hormones in the body can cause neuropathy and can certainly cause such symptoms which is the reason why I would recommend that you should have this test done.
Regarding your question about minor stroke:
There are various areas of the brain that are involved in controlling various parts of the body.
There is a part of the controls sensations of the body like touch sensations and pain sensations.
If a stroke happens in that particular area it can cause numbness on one part of the body and that would be called a minor stroke.
I would appreciate it if you rate me as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, would the low thyroid disorder cause any other issues such as weight gain, difficulty in losing weight etc despite diet and exercise ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long would the symptoms of minor stroke last and what would the treatment be?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes definitely.
Weight gain and difficulty in losing weight is one of the major symptoms of low thyroid hormones.
Symptoms of a minor stroke can last for months or years and treatment is with medications such as baby aspirin and clopidogrel which are medications that inhibit platelet aggregation that is important for clot formation.
Also lowering cholesterol levels, if they are high, controlling high blood pressure, if it is high is also important.
If you smoke it is important for you to quit smoking.
If you drink a lot it is also important for you to cut down.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would sincerely ***** ***** if you rate me before we proceed.
Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the causes of low thyroid hormones and what is the treatment required
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
The most common cause of low thyroid hormones are due to an autoimmune process in the body that causes destruction of the thyroid gland.
Why this autoimmune process happens is not known.
By autoimmune I mean that the body's own immune system goes against the body itself.
Treatment is with thyroid hormone replacement with thyroxine that comes in the form of a pill.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are there any side affect to this treatment?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
No, this is a very safe treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for your assistance today Dr SH.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.
If you ever have more questions do let me know.
I am here daily.
Specifically mention my name FOR DR SH ONLY at the start of the post so that other doctors do not jump in on here.
Kindest regards