Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Doctor David . I spoke to you recently in regards ***** *****

Hi Doctor David .
I spoke to you recently in regards ***** ***** daughter . Is it ok to ask you a further question
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
yes, what is your question?
thank you for requesting me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you remember I was concerned in regards ***** ***** accidently using the cleaning sponge on my daughter at Bathtime . I have been concerned as when I spoke to you before I had been reading up online and it said that chemical exposures can cause leukemia . I have been worrying that I have put my daughter as risk now with this incident . I asked my own GP but she said that the cause of leukemia isn't always known so I'm scared this could be a trigger .i don't know if you specialise in this at all or can help me with some advice ?
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you have not put your daughter at risk for leukemia.
you should not be reading online like this
this only worsens your anxiety if you have excessive anxiety.
I am a cancer doctor
this will not cause leukemia in your daughter.
you are letting your anxiety get out of control with this worry which has no basis in science or medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I have stopped reading now for sure as it was making me really anxious post natally . What I'm just trying to understand is that it said about the link with chemicals and leukemia . When I discussed it with my doctor she said small exposures can cause latent period or something so then leukemia can happen then in adulthood ? This worried me as I only used the sponge once but my husband said he can't be sure if he accidently used it on my daughter in between me cleaning . So that concerned me that it could be small exposures . Also if that cause isn't known how can I be sure this isn't a trigger ?
Sorry thankyou for being patient with me and answering my questions .
Claire ,
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the chemical exposures that are taught in the medical text books as "possible" causes for leukemia and lymphoma are from patients who work in chemical plants or chemical maneufacturing plants or chemical industry.
house hold chemicals are not toxic like that and will not cause leukemia.
or everyone would be having leukemia from washing their sink or cleaning their homes .
leukemia is a very rare cancer
household chemicals are common.
you don't have to worry about the sponge causing cancer for your daughter.
the body has a wonderful way of repairing itself and keeping itself healthy.
your daughter has that ability.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for explaining . I felt like my GP heightened my anxiety as she said that household chemicals , cosmetics and food can all be suspected triggers and that so far my incident hadn't been proven to be a concern but it made me worry then that maybe with future research in years to come it may say what has happened with my baby could trigger cells . ? Do you think this is a concern at all that my gp said "so far " research shows this wouldn't be a trigger . Could this change in the future ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I can't predict the future
but from the history of household chemicals used in the past 20-30 years, we haven't seen a rise in rates or leukemia in children.
so I would not expect that future research will show that household chemicals as being the cause of pediatric cancers.
you need to calm these fears
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I feel better for talking to you thankyou . In light of what my GP said do you think there's a risk this incident could cause leukemia for her as an adult ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, there is no risk that exposure to a sponge with household chemicals will cause leukemia for her as an adult.
I would not worry about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much . Sorry just thinking would that be the case if she did absorb any chemicals through her skin or as she was splashing some water did go in her eyes and mouth ?just thinking if my husband did use the sponge too this could of happened a few times And can I ask how can we be sure there is no risk if the cause of leukemia is unknown . Sorry just wanting to get it straight in my mind so I can put this behind me .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
a sign of excessive anxiety disorder is focusing on a worry that can't be disproven and on a worry that you can't do anything about
no one can see the future.
one one can see chemicals on a sponge.
so your anxiety disorder is focusing on this worry and future cancer.
do you drive a car?
or sit in a driving car?
there is risks for you and you family to get into a car accident ever time you drive.
but you still do it, to get to places and to live a life
so there are risks everywhere you turn in life
your anxiety disorder is making you focus on this incident to the point where you can't get past it.
facts or medical research will not help you get past this
you need to see a psychotherapist and get treatment for excessive anxiety to help you get past these thoughts.
you have been focused on this sponge and leukemia on your daughter since October 12 when you first asked me the first question.
that is 2 1/2 months you have been worried about this.
this is not healthy for you.
you need to talk to your doctor about these worries and see a psychotherapist and talk about treatments for excessive anxiety for yourself.
if you don't get treatment, you will continue to worry about something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . I am addressing my anxiety with my GP . It was only the beginning of December that I contacted you not October . But again I realise it's still a long time to worry . She's just the most precious thing to me and the thought that I may of done anything to harm her future really scares me . I think in my head all I can think is the cause is unknown so this could be the cause what has happened for us and that's what I'm struggling to get past . It does really reassure me when I have asked you for advice . My GP is very cold and doesn't have much time for me that's why I came back to you . Can I just clarify then I won't ask anymore can I be confident in thinking this isn't a cause for leukemia even though the cause isn't known and feel confident that future research won't say different .
I do thank you for your time and patience with me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, you can be confident that the sponge with household chemicals will not cause her leukemia or cancer.
and future research will not say different.
please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again thank you for your time and patience . Is it because her body will rid any toxins in that kind of scenerio ? Sorry it's just if I can understand why there is no risk I can put it out of my mind .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, her body can rid toxins out of her body
all of her cells have ways to repair toxin damage.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you .