Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I started having pain in the crease directly behind my left

Hi I started having pain in the crease directly behind my left knee on the outer side , The pain is excruciating she I rotate my leg in certain positions but I can stand on it , walk slowly (limping ) not full extension just little steps. I can hold it straight out when lying dos. But it feels weak .i went to a osteopath but My back went into spasm a few days later and it took 2 days to ease off I now.have had these other symptons for over 5 weeks too. Deep constant ache in left buttock ,pain radiating down rear side left thigh , numb foot , tightness in left calf .I have had my spleen out so on penicillin every day .i went tony Dr in desperation .hate taking tablets but have had to take Naproxen And co codemol with an occasional diazapam . Can you please advise .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
sounds like you have a few musculoskeletal issues going on.
the pain behind the knee is most likely from a swollen baker's cyst which can press on the popliteal nerves which run behind the knee and cause intense pain
the pain and spasms in your lower back sound like pinched nerves possibly due to arthritis or herniated disk which can cause neuropathy and pain and numbness which can radiate down into your buttock and down the left thigh
some people call this siatica pain
naproxen is an NSAID non steroidal anti-inflammatory agent which can help decrease inflammation and hopefully that disk or pinched nerve will resolve itself. make sure you take the naproxen with food in your stomach and with plenty of water. it can upset your stomach if you take it on an empty stomach.
some patients benefit from physical therapy and exercise for their lower back to strenghten lower back muscles and to help a herniated disk go back into position.
in the UK, it can be difficult to get an MRI scan of your lower back, but that would be test to check for pinched nerves and herniated disk.
some patients benefit from stronger anti-inflammatories such as oral steroids or steroid injections into the lower back area to help decrease inflammation.
some patients need lower back surgery if their pinched nerves don't get better
an ultrasound of your knee can check for swollen baker's cysts in your knee pressing on nerves.
ice and heating pads can help with your knee and lower back as well.
sometimes acupuncture can work to help bring more blood flow to an area to help decrease inflammation and help with healing.
decreasing your caloric intake and dieting and loosing weight can help take pressure off of your knee and your back as well.
cocodemol can cause constipation since it has codeine in it, make sure you take a laxative so you don't get constipated.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your reply . I have been referred to the orthpedic consultant . Can he do an ultrasound for bakers cyst ? Is it treatable and is there anything I should / could do to ease it ? As for pain des . Are all three ok to take together ? Many thanks , Kathi
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, the orthopedic doctor can do an ultrasound of your knee to look for a baker's cyst.
yes, a baker's cyst can be drained with a needle to help decrease pain.
or steroids like prednisone or a steroid injection into the knee can help sometimes.
yes, your pain meds are ok to take together.
diazapam is really a long acting muscle relaxer and anti-anxiety agent.
avoid alcohol and don't take before driving
co codemol contains codeine. take with food and a laxative to prevent constipation.
try to ice and heating pads on your knee and back and see if they help
avoid diary and milk which can cause more inflammation in your body.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
co
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but one last bit of advice please . How often should I be taking each medication and when for optimal benefit. .Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
your doctor should have advised you on how to take these medications.
Naproxen is usually 250mg a pill and should be taken 2 pills with food twice a day
And co codemol can be taken one or two pills every 6 hours when you have bad pain. if you don't have pain, you don't need to take it.
diazapam is a long acting benzo and can be taken once or twice a day to help relax muscles in your back and help decrease anxiety. don't take it before you drive.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com