Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I've been having pain in the last 2 ribs on my left side for

Customer Question

I've been having pain in the last 2 ribs on my left side for over 3 weeks now, I have been to the hospital before and we performed a chest X-ray, ECG, blood test & blood pressure and all came back fine, the pain continued and now I have worse pain in the epigastric area especially after I eat, after I eat the pain is really bad, I had a blood test again yesterday and that was all fine, what could this be?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Pain after eating is usually due to gastritis.
I would recommend using something like over-the-shelf zantac 150 mg twice daily to see if that helps with your symptoms.
If your symptoms persist, I would recommend that you be seen and be further evaluated for this.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Due to the pain location and other symptoms would you be concerned this has anything to do with the pancreas like pancreatitis?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Pancreatitis is UNLIKELY as far as I am concerned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi dcc thanks for that, I'm really worried about the pain and worried it's something sinister like pancreatitis, can I ask why you don't think this is anything to do with the pancreas? And can gastric give you that much pain like a 7 out of 10?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I understand your concerns but it is unlikely to be that.It is most likely gastritis.I would appreciate it if you rate me before we proceed.Kindest regards
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I ask why you don't think it's anything to do with the pancreas?
&
Can gastritis give you that much pain that radiates to your side and back?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Actually, you have been having these pains for a few days now and if it were pancreatitis your condition would have been much more serious by now.So I think it is just gastritis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I avoid or increase to get better? I.e which foods
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Avoid fatty or oily foods for the time being.Take zantac twice daily regularly for at least four to eight weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor,
With Gastiritis Is it normal to get a real sharp pain in the middle/left of the abdomen after or during eating that starts off as a really sharp pain for a few seconds then decreases in pain over a duration of around an hour?
These sharp pains are quite worrying.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes this can happen with either gastritis or severe anxiety.Please accept the additional services offer.