Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I've been having pain in the last 2 ribs on my left side for

Customer Question

I've been having pain in the last 2 ribs on my left side for over 3 weeks now, I have been to the hospital before and we performed a chest X-ray, ECG, blood test & blood pressure and all came back fine, the pain continued and now I have worse pain in the epigastric area especially after I eat, after I eat the pain is really bad, I had a blood test again yesterday and that was all fine, what could this be?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Pain after eating is usually due to gastritis.
I would recommend using something like over-the-shelf zantac 150 mg twice daily to see if that helps with your symptoms.
If your symptoms persist, I would recommend that you be seen and be further evaluated for this.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Due to the pain location and other symptoms would you be concerned this has anything to do with the pancreas like pancreatitis?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Pancreatitis is UNLIKELY as far as I am concerned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi dcc thanks for that, I'm really worried about the pain and worried it's something sinister like pancreatitis, can I ask why you don't think this is anything to do with the pancreas? And can gastric give you that much pain like a 7 out of 10?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I understand your concerns but it is unlikely to be that.It is most likely gastritis.I would appreciate it if you rate me before we proceed.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I ask why you don't think it's anything to do with the pancreas?
&
Can gastritis give you that much pain that radiates to your side and back?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Actually, you have been having these pains for a few days now and if it were pancreatitis your condition would have been much more serious by now.So I think it is just gastritis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I avoid or increase to get better? I.e which foods
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Avoid fatty or oily foods for the time being.Take zantac twice daily regularly for at least four to eight weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor,
With Gastiritis Is it normal to get a real sharp pain in the middle/left of the abdomen after or during eating that starts off as a really sharp pain for a few seconds then decreases in pain over a duration of around an hour?
These sharp pains are quite worrying.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes this can happen with either gastritis or severe anxiety.Please accept the additional services offer.