Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I've been waking up in the night with pins and needles

I've been waking up in the night for weeks with pins and needles in both arms and hands but only affecting two fingers on each hand. Then on Christmas Day I noticed I had red knuckles on the same two fingers as the pins and needles these red blotches were also on my upper arms around my neck and my lower back. Hope you can help
Darren
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Pins and needles in the arms and hands usually indicates a problem with the nerves to the arm and the hands.
This usually happens due to nerves being pinched in the neck because of either disease of the discs in between the vertebrae of the neck (cervical vertebrae) or the vertebrae themselves.
So I would strongly recommend that you should have x-ray of the neck spine or preferably MRI to be evaluated further.
It may also have something to do with the red blotches irritating nerve fibers in which case it could very well be something transient.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end, when you are done asking.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have continuous tingling in my hands
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Continuous tingling in the hands is most likely related to nerves of the hands being pressed.It could be related to the rash that you have experienced.These are the two most likely causes.Another less likely possibility in people who are greatly anxiety prone is that severe anxiety or stress can also lead to such symptoms at times.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end.Kindest regards