Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

I was diagnosed with a chest infection last Saturday and given

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with a chest infection last Saturday and given amoxicillin to clear it. I'd had a fever, lost my voice completely, bad coughing and chest and throat pain. My chest seems fine now and my fever has gone. However my voice still hasn't returned and I'm starting to worry now I've had no voice for 10 days and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Is there anything that it could be ?
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, in most cases there is associated voice box inflammation with chest infections, in most cases it takes 2 weeks to return to normal. If it is getting worse then a review by an ENT specialist for Indirect laryngoscopy should be done. Warm water gargles, warm steam inhalation are also useful home measure to reduce the inflammation of the voice box. Let me know if you have questions, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm worried as I have no voice at all except a slight whisper. I literally cannot make any more noise. I need to speak for work and I'm back in a week. Surely if my infection has cleared up then I should see some improvements?
Yes there should be improvement in your voice once infection has resolve. You need an IDL exam by an ENT specialist as i had mentioned, this will help to diagnose the cause of your lack of voice improvement. Let me know if you have questions, thank you.