Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Long-term side-effects of Cialis?

I'm interested in the long-term side-effects of using 20mg Cialis 2-3 weekly for ED, in a 67 year- old, who is otherwise healthy.

I realise that muscle-ache is common, in lower back and thighs, in the 24-72 period after taking it, and have found daily 200 mg Ibuprofen is effective (at least for 8-10 hrs).

However, the muscle discomfort is continuous, well after 72 hours.

Tried not taking Cialis for 2 weeks, but muscle problem appears to remain. The mild pain appears to be symmetric, and shifts from buttocks to lower thigh to rear of upper legs.

Previously tried 5mg Cialis daily, but beneficial effect was minimal.

Have there been any studies in the long-term side-effects or damage from using Cialis?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for query,These muscle aches can be side effect of taking this drug but it can be because of other problem which is common in this age group that is nerve related pain because of compression by discs in lower back. I would suggest you should discuss this with your physician so that dose of cialis can be adjusted and have thorough examination of lower back to rule out nerve related pain.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner,Best WISHES.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Is that the same as spinal stenosis?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes it can be spinal stenosis which is one of the causes of nerve compression.Please do leave a positive rating.Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could the Cialis be the cause of this nerve compression? Or mimic the symptoms of the nerve compression?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
It does not cause nerve compression but muscle pain one of the side effects can mimic the symptoms of nerve compression.Please do leave a positive rating.Best.