Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I'm concerned I may be a diabetic? My mother has type 2 and

Customer Question

I'm concerned I may be a diabetic? My mother has type 2 and over the past few months I've been feeling exhausted, weeing a lot more than usual especially at night feeling very dizzy, itchy skin were I could out In hives run down with virus so my mum checked my sugar today and it said 9.0 should I be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Was it a fasting blood sugar or after your meal? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a couple of hours after a coffee no sugar and biscuit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was all I'd eaten all day
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. On the basis of this single value, you can't suspect diabetes. It's not reliable at all. You should check your blood sugar in the morning on empty stomach. It should be 4 to 5.9. You should take the second reading 2 hours after your meal and it should be under 7.8. So this is one aspect that you shouldn't worry about diabetes at this stage with the value you have got. If you had a coffee even without sugar, in my opinion at this stage, I would consider it normal. The symptoms you have can be because of a urinary tract infection for which you should get yourself checked by urine tests and get blood workup as well. Drink plenty of water (at least 8 glasses per day) and drink cranberry juice as well. I reassure you again that you even don't need to be concerned about diabetes right now so just relax. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards