Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My son is 5 years old. He was diagnosed with severe asthma

Customer Question

My son is 5 years old. He was diagnosed with severe asthma and struggles regularly. My GP and I were concerned it could be something else however this was dismissed by the consultant. He sweats excessively in his sleep, has frequent nosebleeds and joint pain on a regular basis. He is very tired a lot of the time and has at least a two hour nap everyday including a 12 hour sleep through the night. His chest x rays show a lot of scaring and he frequently comes up in skin rashes with bumps. Could there be something else wrong that connects all these things and isn't just asthma?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.That is indeed interesting.Given extensive scarring and other symptoms, your son should be checked for cystic fibrosis a genetic disorder.Sweat chloride testing and genetic testing are recommended even if cystic fibrosis test was negative at the time of birth.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloAllergy is the most common disease association with asthma.Screening of newborns for cystic fiborsis is done in all 50 united stated. I am a US doctor and have not seen that missed, if he was born in the hospital. Find out.Autoimmune disease might be associated with asthma.He should be seeing an allergist/immunologist at this time.The lung manisfestations of cystic fibrosis typically are thick secreations, and repeated infections are the norm.Esophageal reflux disease is often missed, and the acid can cause bronchospasm, or make mild asthma worse. In addition, here is a list of diseases that mimic asthma.http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/asthma-mimcs OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I was the original expert who suggested cystic fibrosis as possibility.Besides that there is also possibility of primary immunodeficiencies.But we always check cystic fibrosis first before any further testing.This is still missed even if born in hospital.Do you have any further question?Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/