DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have inflammatory arthritis I take Methotrexate

I have inflammatory arthritis for which I take Methotrexate by injection weekly and read I must not get Shingles. Could you please tell me for how long Shingles are infectious after someone has been diagnosed.
Maureen
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloShingles are not infectious.You do not catch shingles from someone who has shingles.Shingles is from your own re-activation of your chicken pox infection that you had as a child.The chicken pox virus , in some people, can become shingles later in life.There is no way to prevent it other than the shingles vaccine.Generally speaking, you should not get this vaccine while on methotrexate as it is an immune suppressant.You should discuss this with your doctor. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanks I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers. If you use my request link, I will get to you promptly to deliver correct answers.