Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have just taken a second 500mg metformin tablet by mistake

I have just taken a second 500mg metformin tablet by mistake - I usually have one in am and one in pm = 1000mg. I also took my regular gliclazide (80mg) at the same time. Any concerns?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
A single extra dose of metformin is typically not a problem. The metformin is generally well tolerated with no significant risk of low blood sugars. When used in combination with other medicines, such as the gliclazide, there is a slight risk, but it is still generally well tolerated.
It is appropriate to be eating your regular diet, and this is certainly not a time to skip or limit oral intake. If you have a home glucose monitor, it would also be appropriate to check your blood sugar a couple times over the next 12 hours to be certain that the blood sugar does not get too low.
There is no need for any other action at this point.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your advice.