Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm 73 yrs old very active on my farm 35 days ago I smacked

Customer Question

I'm 73 yrs old very active on my farm 35 days ago I smacked the front of my forehead hard my running into a forklift cage that was up in the air since then I have had an head acke now and again feel sick my neck is very stiff when I turn from side to side it creaks I have been taking paracetamol like sweets since would I be got concution?? And should I go to a and e to have a brain scan ?? After 35 days with this problem will it get gragerly better my email is***@******.***
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JutAnswer.
It is possible that there could be a concussion, There also is a smaller risk that there could be some bleeding into or around the brain. It is also possible that it could be more benign, such as an exacerbation of degenerative changes in the head and neck.
For someone that is still having symptoms a month after blunt head trauma, it is appropriate to be checked, including a neurologic examination, and the neurologic examination would guide which imaging test would be appropriate. Since this has been present for 35 days, it usually does not require an urgent evaluation at A&E, unless there is a sudden or significant worsening of symptoms. From your description, you say that you have had these symptoms since the head trauma, but do not describe any sudden or significant worsening, so it would not require a visit to A&E. Instead, it would be appropriate to contact your primary care physician, who can schedule the appropriate evaluation.
So, you should contact your doctor, but you do not need to be seen in A&E unless the symptoms are suddenly or significantly worse.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.