Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

A few days ago the skin on the left side of my body (around

Hi, a few days ago the skin on the left side of my body (around my hops, side and thigh) started to get quite sensitive to touch. Now there are some red abrasions around the area and a continuous dull ache around my lower left side in addition to the sensitivity.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
this could be due to a shingles infection manifesting on the skin.
can you upload a clear jpg photo of the area from a computer.
here are instructions
type a word in the textbox and highlight it
then select the "chain" icon above the textbox or the paper clip icon to upload a jpg
this opens a window where you can click next to the text box to select the jpg or pdf file on your computer to upload into JustAnswer
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if these are received OK
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, that looks like an early shingles skin infection.
shingles is from the chicken pox virus, also called herpes zoster
if you have had chicken pox before, you have this virus in your body.
if your immune system is weakened like if you are not getting enough sleep, or eating poorly, or drinking too much alcohol, shingles can flair up and cause a painful skin blistery rash in a dermatome of a nerve where the virus has invaded.
you should see a GP doctor about this.
there are antiviral medications which can shorten a shingles outbreak
there is a shingles vaccine once this outbreak has healed which can help your body make more antibodies to this shingles virus which can help prevent future breakouts
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot. Is it contagious? I'm back at work on the 4th Jan - would should I do about that? I can't get a GP appointment until next Wednesday - hence using this service. How else might I get a prescription? Thanks again - happy to leave the positive feedback
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it is a bit contagious
it is best to be covered.
go to the pharmacy or drug store
ask to buy neospirin ointment and telfa nonstick dressing and cotton cling wrap and tape
apply neosporin to open blisters or open wounds or skin.
apply the telfa non stick pads on top.
wrap the cotton cling wrap around your abdomen and fix with tape.
wash your hands frequently with antibacterial soap and water
just like chicken pox, it is contagious, but if you keep the area covered with a dressing and you wash your hands frequently, you won't spread the virus.
you can also ask for lidocaine creams and gels at the drug store and see if they have any to help numb up the skin to help decrease the pain.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks, ***** *****