Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Dr Ravoof May I just check something else with you . My

Dr Ravoof
May I just check something else with you . My daughter was playing with one of her new toys that she had for Xmas and when I packed awAy I noticed a few tags had been left on the toy the tiny white T shape ones that attach the toy to the box, I thought I'd cut them away . I became concerned she may of swallowed one as she coughed a little whilst playing . If she had and the tag became inbedded in her throat or tummy I'm worried it could stay there for years or something ? Of course I stupidly googled and it said this can cause cancer /leukemia due to plastic in the body. Should I worry about this ? Sorry to ask .
Claire
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. No need to be sorry to ask a question. This is how someone should clarify their doubts and queries. If she has indeed swallowed then she may not have any symptoms in most of the cases and it will usually pass through your digestive system uneventfully. However sometimes symptoms may occur such as trouble breathing, speaking, swallowing, or crying, and the child may spit up, drool, or vomit. Regarding the long term complications such as cancer this is very unlikely in this case, since these are tags which will easily pass and will not stay for years. However in a few cases due to chronic inflammation by a foreign body there may changes in the cells which may lead to cancer very rarely. But let me repeat I do not think this is a possibility in your case. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it's just I checked with my friend who's a GP and she said because of the sharp edges it could imbed in the body which will then build I fibrous tissue around it as it cannot break it down . If her body does this could this then lead to cancer ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, This is not possible since the mucosa of the gastrointestinal tract will produce mucus which is a fluid and this will prevent any sticking of the foreign body to the bowel and also since it is a thin small object it will pass in majority of cases. Regarding fibrosis and chronic inflammation, this may rarely lead to abnormal cells and eventually to cancer. So yes there is a possibility, but I don't think this is present in your case due to the facts I listed above and in my previous answer. Take care. Please accept the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . If she has swallowed one I really hope it passes. It's the tiny white T shape tags that you cut off when the toys attached to the box do you know the ones I mean ? Could it get stuck anywhere though like her throat or tummy or will this all the the mucus to stop it sticking ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I know these tags and I don't think that they will cause any complication and these will pass smoothly along with food and be excreted if swallowed. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you she's only 3 months so not eating yet only on milk will it still pass ok if swallowed ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes it will. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel so worried if I don't see it in her nappy it may be stuck somewhere and cause cells to mutate ? Is there anything I should do
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There is nothing you need to do if there are no symptoms. She might not have swallowed it in the first place. So no need to worry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apart from the initial cough and urge whilst playing she seems fine but I'm worried what if it's gone down and for stuck and there are no symptoms of it being inbedded somewhere ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Passing of stools normally without increased mucus or blood means that there is no blockage. So no need to worry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I mean would it be inbedded somewhere in her body without symptoms ? That's what I'm worried about as it could then cause cancer if it is somewhere .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, No I don't think this will happen and very unlikely, though it is possible. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what worries me . Is there anything that would be apparent in the future if it was stuck somewhere that I can look out for ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There are tests such as seeing inside the gastrointestinal tract by passing a tube with a camera which may show the foreign object if present. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I mean would there be symptoms with her now or in the future of it was stuck somewhere ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, If it was stuck which is unlikely there would be symptoms now itself. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if it has passed her throat ? It's just my doctor friend said it's a possibility it could be stuck with no symptoms but surely if it was there permanently we would know with some sign wouldn't we ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, If it were stuck yes there will be symptoms which will alert you, hence no need to worry about having no symptoms since this is very very unlikely. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks and over the next few weeks would there be symptoms if it was in there or only now initially ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, If it was stuck there would be continuous chronic symptoms for weeks unless it is removed. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah few that's good to know . So with the chronic inflammation that you said about earlier which can lead to cancer would there definatly be symptoms with this then ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes there will definitely be symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh thank goodness . I was thinking it could be embedded in her body somewhere silently and we wouldn't know then it can lead to cancer but is this not the case ? What symptoms would there be with this chronic inflammation may I ask ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And would there be symptoms no matter where it's stuck such as throat tummy or bowel ect
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes there would be symptoms if stuck anywhere such as fever. Localized symptoms such as blood in stools or in vomit can also occur. Increased crying in babies or refusal to feed would be another symptom. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . My go friend was saying as well if the body can't break it down it walls it off with fibrous tissue . If it does this would there be symptoms . I'm just worried it may do this and I wouldn't know and it could cause cancer if the body walls it off like this .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes this process will also cause symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and if the body walls it off like this is there a risk of cancer still or is it only with the inflammation ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There is still a risk for cancer, but this happening is rare in your case. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . What would the symptoms be if her body did wall it off with fibrous tissue ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, This may cause strictures, intussusception, and obstruction leading to abdominal pain, increased crying, decreased stools, and blood in stools. Take care. Please don't forget to accept the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou so do you think I can feel assured that as long as she doesn't show any symptoms now or over the coming weeks she ok and it hasn't got stuck to cause chronic inflammation or fibrous tissue ? And would these symptoms occur wherever it was stuck in the body ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes without any symptoms which would occur with foreign body retention in the body, you can rest assured. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even with something so tiny would that still be the case ? Also I noticed some of the stuffing came out of the edge of the toy if she swallowed a small amount of this could that cause any long term problems ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. As I said that having any complication will be unlikely with a tiny foreign body and it will be excreted uneventfully. However in the very unlikely scenario of its retention then there will be symptoms. There would be no long term problems with swallowing of the stuffing on the edge of the toy. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you she is coughing a little here and there but I don't think it's anything unusual . Would there be other symptoms at this time ifit was related .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, If this is not unusual it is unlikely to be related to the plastic tag. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thank you and it would continue wouldn't it .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, What would continue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the coughing symptoms I mean if they were related to the tag
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes the coughing would be continuous and unrelenting if related to the foreign object and with difficulty in breathing. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes there's nothing like that at all and if it was further down her digestion there would still be symptoms as discussed before wouldn't there even though it was a tiny tag probably the size of my baby fingernail although some of them were longer depending on where I cut the tag .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Such a tiny piece will pass uneventfully. However in the unlikely event it does not then there will be symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . Sorry I'm a first time mum and feel like I'm
Making mistakes and worrying about everything at the minute . Thank you once again for your time.
Claire.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Your welcome. I understand your situation and genuine worries. Take care. Please don't forget to accept the answer by clicking five stars.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you yes it was just whilst she was playing I did notice her cough and urge . That's why raised my concern with noticing the tag . But I'm hoping this would of continued noticeably with other symptoms of it was anything to do with the tag . Would you say the same ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes you are correct. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou and if this chronic inflammations symptoms did occur or the fibrous tissue what would doctors do for it ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Doctors will remove the foreign body and treat complications if any. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Ravoof . These were the tags I just found them whilst tidying and wanted to show you for size .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes I have seen them before. These are very flexible and unlikely to be stuck anywhere. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you it was just the T shape bit I thought might get hooked somewhere . There not too small to be stuck without symptoms then ? That was my concern in case they were in her body for years without me knowing .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, In the unlikely event of them being stuck then there will be symptoms. Take care. Please rate the answer and accept it. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even with them being so small and if the body does the fibrous wall thing will there be symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes there will be symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I was just checking that something so tiny couldn't get stuck without us ever knowing and then cause cancer that's my fear .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I have understood your fear and your question and I want to reassure you again that there will be symptoms if at all it gets stuck and you will know that something is not right by the symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your time . I feel better for knowing what to lol out for .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Please don't forget to rate the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.