Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I get a stabbing pain in the left side of the back of my head

Customer Question

I get a stabbing pain in the left side of the back of my head just above my neck when im having sex . Its been happening for a bout a week what is causing it and is it serious ? Im a 25yr male
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.If it is more like a headache, and happening at the time or near orgasm then it is known as post coital headache and occurs due to sexual excitement in certain individuals and can be treated with reducing caffeine intake and painkillers. If it is occurring during sex but not specifically near or on orgasm then this can be due to cervical disc problems, back and/or neck muscle spasms and is not related to sexual intercourse of excitement directly but due to abrupt movements or just muscle cramps which take 10 days to get better.I would suggest that you see your physician if this continues and get your cervical and thoracic spine x rays done (2 views) to rule out muscle spasms which display as aberrations in the curvature of the spine.Taking an anti inflammatory like Aleve (Naproxen) 500 mg before intercourse or physical activity and massage with Ibuprofen liquigel thrice a day on the back and neck, avoiding odd postures and prolonged standing or sitting will also benefit.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best,
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.