Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a 64 year old female and have reasonable health but

Hi I am a 64 year old female and have reasonable health but in last three months had laryngitis, pneumonia and now sore throat and a pain in my right lung at bottom of rib. I wondered if
I have damaged my lung as about 8 years ago had a very bad gastric 'flu which left me coughing up yellow mucus for weeks. Also don't know if it matters but had whooping cough as a baby?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.It seems you are prone to the respiratory tract infections.Childhood infection and flu 8 yrs can result in some damage to the lungs.Recent infections can be a coincidence commonly.Viral infection can recur.Also incompletely treated bacterial infection can cause persistent symptoms.The pain under right rib cage can be due the coughing causing muscle pull.You should get chest xrays, lung function test for further evaluation.Also blood count with differential recommended to rule out any immunodeficiency.Sputum culture is recommended to rule out any resistant bacterial infection.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/