Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

Daughter who is 9 now occasionally wets herself when laugh

Daughter who is 9 now occasionally wets herself when laughing
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
hi there,i am online and will be happy to answer your questions.thank you for your patience. Giggle incontinence, a rare syndrome, refers to urine leakage that occurs only with laughter. Children with giggle incontinence have normal bladder function when the child is not laughing and should be differentiated from urinary leakage with laughter in children who have persistent voiding symptoms when they are not laughing. It occurs almost exclusively in girls and is characterized by large-volume voids. Treatment of this condition is not well studied. Some pediatricians advocate the use of anticholinergics based upon the assumption that incontinence is related to detrusor instability . Small case series report that methylphenidate was effective in the prevention of these events suggesting a central nervous system etiology. biofeedback to teach the patient to contract the external sphincter has also been shown to be effective.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I am here to help you and I wish you best health,if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800Thanks for using justanswer.com