Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Dr Ravoof . Me again ! Sorry ... My friend text me this

Hi Dr Ravoof .
Me again ! Sorry ...
My friend text me this earlier the one who is a GP when I was asking her about symptoms to look out for with my baby possibly swallowing the tag ;
" If there is sufficient inflammation or fibrous tissue to cause problems, then yes, it would cause symptoms. If the inflammation or fibrosis is minor and not a problem, it will also not cause symptoms try not to worry so much "
I'm just bit worried now if it is minor like she's saying I wouldn't know that the tag is in her body and could therefore cause cancer later . I just wondered what your advice would be for me on this .
Many thanks again.
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi Claire. can I help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there .
I was hoping to reach Dr Ravoof the oncology Dr if possible .
Many thanks.
Claire .
He's not online now.Not sure when he will be back.I'm sure I can help ClaireCan you explain the situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was only that I contacted him earlier in regards ***** ***** daughter who I had a concern with . She was playing with her toys which were new and when I went to pack away I noticed they still had the little white tags on which attach the toy to the box , I worried she could of possibly swallowed one as she did cough and urge slightly whilst playing . I spoke to Dr Ravoof about it all who explained that if the item
Was swallowed and caused chronic inflammation or fibrosis it can cause cells to mutate which will eventually lead to cancer . Dr Ravoof reassured me that for this to happen there would be symptoms with my baby but the text above which I have quoted is from my friend who is a GP . I am
Worried now that there may not be symptoms it its Minor fibrosis or inflammation which could then lead to cancer and I was going to ask Dr Ravoofs opinion on this . I don't know if your able to help . Sorry for long explanation .
Claire.
what are the tags made out of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plastic I think I can send you a picture here they are .
okay standing by
If it were plastic and it were inhaled, it could cause inflammation but the body would just wall it offIt would not cause cancer or anything like thatan xray of the chest would tell for sure thoughand is low radiation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Dr Ravoof dos say if the body walls it off with fibrosis there is a risk of cancer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did send this pic to him as well .
No, there is no risk of cancer.I disagreeAnd I'm quite sure of it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . Am I able to put my question back to Dr Ravoof though as he made the statement initially I feel I need to clarify with him .
would you mind providing a positive rating for me? I appreciate it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't matter if he doesn't respond straight away . I don't mind rating you but will I have to pay again for Dr Ravoof ?
I'm not sure.That is up toCustomer I receive no credit unless you rate though. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know but if I rate you I will loose my question for Dr Ravoof ?
I have had customers in the past ask to split the payments after the other expert answers. That is an option too. you would just need to call or email customer service I will opt out though andCustomershould see your question eventually
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
I can opt out forCustomer Hold tight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's ok now I have rated you can close this question for me now rather than referring . Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I am online now. What is your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Ravoof .
Me again ! Sorry ...
" If there is sufficient inflammation or fibrous tissue to cause problems, then yes, it would cause symptoms. Ifthe inflammation or fibrosis is minor and not a problem, it will also not cause symptoms try not to worry so much "
Many thanks again.
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, In your case as I said there is no risk since it is a small tiny flexible object which will easily pass through. However if it gets stuck and there is chronic inflammation then there is definitely a risk for cancer. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12490959 Take care.