Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Dr Ravoof. "After speaking with you earlier about my

Hi Dr Ravoof.
"After speaking with you earlier about my daughter possibly swallowing the tag , my friend who is the doctor sent me this ;
If there is sufficient inflammation or fibrous tissue to cause problems, then yes, it would cause symptoms. If the inflammation or fibrosis is minor and not a problem, it will also not cause symptoms."
It concerned me as if there are no symptoms but the minor fibrosis and inflammation has happened I worry this could be a cancer risk . I wonder what your thoughts or advice on this was for me please ?
Many thanks in advance I would very much only like for you to answer my question as I have spoke to you in regards ***** ***** matter previously .
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for contacting me. In your case as I said there is no risk since it is a small tiny flexible object. However if it gets stuck and there is chronic inflammation then there is definitely a risk for cancer. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12490959 Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes this is what is worrying me that there maybe chronic flammation but no symptoms asy friend stated so I wouldn't know if that makes sense ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are making a lot of sense, however as i said these healing processes of inflammation and fibrosis will definitely cause symptoms. Hence not to worry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok may I ask what the doctor meant then by saying minor fibrosis and inflammation will not cause symptoms ? It's confusing see as I worry it could be minor and I won't know any damage is done due to no symptoms .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try to break the tag and the top bit was very hard to bend and sharp . Will a babies digestion still be able to pass this easily ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Such minor inflammation will not be chronic and will heal fast, hence no risk of cancer. It is chronic inflammation which may lead to cancer. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and would it be the same thinking with the fibrosis thing as well ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes in the body inflammation and fibrosis do occur in everyone and this is not a risk for cancer. However if this occurs chronically then there is a risk and these chronic processes will definitely cause symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much . When I questioned my friend on it this was the reply ...
I said :
"Ok so if it's minor will that mean it will of passed through and not chronic"
Doctors Reply :
"Or that it is chronic, but minor and not a problem."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So like the doctor is saying if it is chronic but minor and not a problem. Can this cause cancer ? As this is when I worry they ll be no symptoms ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Any chronic inflammation may change the cells to abnormal cells and eventually to cancer cells. This is a possibility. However I disagree with your friend regarding symptoms since this chronic process will cause symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and surely for this chronic process to happen there would of been signs with her today that she was uncomfortable and definatly swallowed it wouldn't there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also would there be signs if the cells did change to abnormal before cancer arises ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes there would have been signs and symptoms if she had swallowed. Yes there would be symptoms that will detect the abnormal inflammation and then if treatment is given to decrease the inflammation and stop it, the cell will again become normal. Take care. Please don't forget to rate the answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok if the cells turned abnormal again what would the symptom be please ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There would be local symptoms such as pain in the region of the chronic inflammation. Systemic symptoms such as chronic fever may also be seen. There may be bleeding which may be seen as blood in sputum, vomit, or in stools. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and that would be due to cells turning abnormal would it ? How long would these symptoms take to occur ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, If there is inflammation and fibrosis taking place there will be symptoms immediately when these processes begin and if these symptoms are chronic and if they occur daily only then there is a risk for cancer. If these symptoms and if inflammation occurs only for a few days then there is no risk. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you and say for instance minor chronic inflammation or fibrosis was discovered by accident but there were no other problems would there be a risk of cancer then or would things be left alone ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Any inflammation which occurs continuously for years carries with it a risk for cancer. Such chronic inflammation definitely needs to be treated to remove the source of inflammation. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou I only asked as this is what else my friend said and I wondered if you can explain it to me as its all confusing ;
But that does not mean that it is a problem. If there is a foreign object that get embedded in the body and is causing minor inflammation or fibrosis, but is not causing other problems, we will usually not know that they are there, but if they are accidentally discovered, we will leave them alone.You are worrying too much about nothing. You asked what would happen if the object gets embedded rather than passing through the system, and this is what would happen. However, it is still not likely to get embedded, as it will typically pass through the system. But if it happens to be the rare case of becoming embedded, yet is small and causes a small area of chronic inflammation or fibrosis, and is not causing any other symptoms, it is not a problem. We do not do studies to look for foreign objects in someone that is not having symptoms.You only need to worry if he develops any symptoms. Period. Any scenario in which she is not having symptoms is not a concern.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes I agree with your friend without symptoms there is no need to worry. However a foreign body which is the cause for chronic inflammation causing symptoms need to be looked for and removed. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou would you say this piece of information is accurate also ?
yet is small and causes a small area of chronic inflammation or fibrosis, and is not causing any other symptoms, it is not a problem
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Chronic inflammation is always a problem and will cause symptoms. So yes I think that this information is inaccurate. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou and surely minor inflammation would have symptoms wouldn't it after time ?
Also did you see my question earlier about the tag being quite hard to break due to being thick and sharp . Do you still think that would pass through a babies digestion easily without getting stuck ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes this will cause symptoms. Yes I think this tag will pass easily in the baby's gastrointestinal tract. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I wonder why she said there will be no symptoms then with this as yOu seem fairly certain there would be
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I don't know why she did. Any inflammation will always cause symptoms such as redness (increased vascularity), swelling, increased temperature, and pain.Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . Doctor Ravoof just because it's on my mind now that there may not be symptoms for her . What is the actual risk of her getting cancer from this would you say .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, According to me considering everything there is no risk for cancer from this incident. Take care. Please don't forget to rate the answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . It's just this is what my friend also said :It is not true that minor inflammation will always cause symptoms. There are many examples of people that have no symptoms and then have a screening test during which minor inflammatory conditions are found.
I don't know what you would say about this as this is what's concerning me .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I wrote the last two lines by the way .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Basically in your case in the unlikely event of a stuck plastic tag there is not going to be any minor inflammation. Regarding the minor inflammation detected in screening tests these tests are done only when there are symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok what would happen to the tag for it not to cause the inflammation if it did get stuck ?
And may I ask would you agree with this again a discussion with my friend ;
It is certainly true that certain inflammatory conditions increase the risk for cancer. But there are many inflammatory conditions that are not associated with an increased risk for cancer. So, you cannot say that simply because chronic inflammation is present there will be a risk for cancer. That is simply not true and there is no clinical evidence that shows that chronic inflammation always carries a risk for cancer.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Yes this is a developing field of knowledge but there are numerous examples of chronic inflammatory conditions leading to cancer. It is unlikely for the tag to get stuck, and if it did then there may be obstruction or ulceration which will lead to body's inflammatory response and symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok does that still mean there wouldn't be minor inflammation or fibrosis ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There may be minor inflammation and fibrosis as well. However in this case there is no risk for all these processes to occur. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by processes ? Cancer to occur do you mean ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes for cancer to occur and also for inflammation to occur since majority of foreign objects pass uneventfully through the gastrointestinal tract. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you explain why there is no risk for these processes to occur just to help me feel more settled about it and understand it ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, First of all you are not sure that anything was swallowed or not. So if not swallowed no reason to worry. Next even if swallowed it will pass through the tract without any adverse complications. So no need to worry. Even in the unlikely event it gets stuck, this will cause symptoms which will lead to treatment and removal preventing any chronic inflammation. So no need to worry. In conclusion what I am saying is that there is no reason for worry about the theoretical possibility of cancer which is very unlikely. Please relax. Take care. Don't forget to accept. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much . I was feeling much relief until I was told otherwise about there being no symptoms when there could be inflammation present . That's what is playing on my mind .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you say this is true though doctor Ravoof ?
"if there is a retained foreign body that is causing minor inflammation or fibrosis, but is not causing symptoms, it is not a problem."
Again what I discussed with my friend .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In regards ***** ***** would this be a problem I mean .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Sometimes due to the process of fibrosis the foreign body may be walled off and have no further inflammation, in that case there would be no problem. Hence no risk of cancer. But if there is a chronic ongoing inflammation then there may a risk of the cells undergoing a change in their normality and becoming cancerous. However as I said this is a developing field and we don't have all the knowledge at present about it. But the risk cannot be ruled out. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but if it is minor inflammation without any symptoms as such would this still be a cancer risk or do you mean chronic ongoing inflammation with symptoms .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I mean chronic ongoing inflammation with symptoms. Such minor inflammation is usually an acute event and will resolve. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will it resolve without any cancer risk if it is minor chronic inflammation
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes if is minor and not stressful to the cells it may not result in a neoplastic change. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe that's what my doctor friend meant then when she said that minor chronic inflammation would not cause cancer risk and the same with fibrosis ? Are you able to check for me maybe and clarify fully ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I will check for you further. Please rate the answer with a five star. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks . I would so very much appreciate it if you could look into it for me . As explained my fear is whether or not there is a cancer risk due to this incident especially if there's a chance there could be no symptoms .
Many thanks I will definatly accept and rate once I hear back otherwise I have to pay again to talk to you .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You can rate now and I will continue with the chat and answer your query. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok can I ask roughly how long you will take to get back to me ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, At least 12 hours. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's fine are you going to get s second opinion or look into research or something may I ask ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I will research and also consult my other colleagues. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do the rating now but please come back to me on this I feel really worried about the cancer risk I may of causedy child by this .
Many thanks ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor Ravoof
Did my rating and response send . Sorry my internet has been playing up with all the flooding but it's working again now I think the rating sent ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes the rating is sent. Please wait for an answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you again for your time spent on this for me I really do appreciate it .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
With all the present evidences and information the risk of cancer in practical terms is non existent. Though there is a theoretical risk, this is not practically possible since a foreign body will be detected by manifesting with other complications in the gastrointestinal tract and will not be present for such a long time to cause chronic inflammation related cancer. Also cancer will not occur in all patients with chronic inflammation. The cells will repair any damage caused by the chronic inflammation in majority of cases and will not turn malignant. Hence please do not worry about any long term complications.
Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you doctor Ravoof . Do you think then it's only possible to turn to cancer if it is chronic inflammation that is causing symptoms ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just remember that link you sent me which said about inflammation causing cancers .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Before the chronic inflammation occurring the foreign body would have caused many other complications which would be symptomatic and therefore lead to its removal. So no need to be afraid of it causing cancer. In the bowel for example chronic inflammation as seen in inflammatory bowel disease has a risk for cancer but not a foreign body. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . But I'm just thinking if it was minor chronic inflammation without symptoms ( as my gp friend was saying she's doesn't agree there would always be symptoms ) it's just stayed in my head now what if there aren't symptoms . But anyway what I'm asking is in that case if it stated in the body without any problems so we didn't know would there be a cancer risk or is it only if there is inflammation with symptoms that are left untreated .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, If there is no reaction of the body to the foreign body then there would no cancer risk. Only if there is continued inflammation there is a theoretical risk for cancer. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so am I right to think it could stay in her body with minor chronic inflammation that doesn't show in any way . And that would not cause cancer .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes that would not cause cancer. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank youse I ask what made you change your mind ? I just know before you were in disagreement with the GP about symptoms and cancer risk
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. My opinion has not changed, if there is continued inflammation then there would be symptoms which will lead to treatment due to complications, and this would prevent the theoretical risk for cancer. However if the foreign body does not cause any reaction in the body then there would not even be theoretical risk for cancer since there is no continued inflammation. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok and just say for arguments sake if there were to be minor chronic inflammation but it's not causing any problems that are apparent . Would that not be enough to cause the neoplastic change that you were saying about .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I guess what's on my mind is because of what my friend stated that there can be minor chronic inflammation without symptoms so I'm just worried . If there were a small area of chronic inflammation or fibrosis, and is not causing any other symptoms, would that be a problem in regards ***** ***** .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, For sake of argument if there is chronic inflammation without symptoms then there is unfortunately a theoretical risk. However if the inflammation is minor then the risk is also less. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . I am worried about there being a risk that this thing is stuck without us knowing any symptoms and could stay there to cause cancer cells .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. However my advice would be not to worry about this negligible risk. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok what does negligible mean ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I was wondering is there any risk of endocrine disruption from this ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
It means insignificant since this is just theoretical and not seen practically till date. No risk of any endocrine pathology. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and like I asked about the leukemia previously. Is there a chance research can change and say different or is it the same as what you told me with the leukemia information .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Like the previous incident even this incident has no practical risk for cancer. No such cases have been reported in the literature or in case reports. Hence please do not worry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok and thats not likely to change in the future
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With further research I mean
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes this is unlikely to change in future since it is based on established facts. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you .
This is what my GP friend said to me . So in this case with it being minor is there then a cancer risk did you say ?
"If there is sufficient inflammation or fibrous tissue to cause problems, then yes, it would cause symptoms. If the inflammation or fibrosis is minor and not a problem, it will also not cause symptoms."
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, With any chronic inflammation there is a theoretical risk. If it is minor inflammation then the theoretical risk is less. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I don't know what to do now as I'm scared to leave this now incase there is minor inflammation that we don't know about and then risk of cancer is there.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I would not worry about this insignificant negligible theoretical risk. Also I have explained before also how this would cause complications and symptoms before cancer would likely develop. Hence no need to be scared. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes but aren't these complications and symptoms in question ? As my gp was saying there wouldn't be any .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or do you mean if things were devoting to cancer there would definatly be symptoms .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
developing i mean not devoting
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I cannot speak for your GP. According to me before there is inflammation induced cancer there will definitely be symptoms which on treatment will reduce the inflammation. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you and if there were chronic inflammation with no symptoms this definatly wouldn't be a concern in regards ***** ***** disruption .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes that is correct. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . I've made sure all of her toys are free of these stupid tags now . Whilst clearing them though I did again feel the ends of them are so thick and sharp I couldn't bend it or bite through it . Would this still be unlikely to get stuck in her tummy or bowel ect given how hard and sharp they are ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes in majority of cases this will likely pass. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And do you think initially I would have definatly known if she'd have swallowed it . I mean like I said before when she was playing she did caugh and gag slightly which made me go over and see she was ok but nothing more immediately after this . Would there of been more noticeable symptoms than what I observed .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I cannot comment on this since I don't know what you observed. However the answer is yes the symptoms would be prominent. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If just observed her cough a little then a little urge . I went over to see if she was ok and she was smiling and fine then .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, The way you have described this, it does not appear that she had swallowed anything. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought too . What would the symptoms be again upon swallowing the tag ? Xx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for kisses . Sent in error lol
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Possible symptoms are trouble breathing, speaking, swallowing, or crying, and the child may spit up, drool, or vomit. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh yes you did send me this before . I didn't witness any of that at all . She hasn't had a bowel movement for 24 hours but that's sometimes not unusual for her ,
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes I did write all of this but do not mind repeating it if that brings you the much needed relaxation. Don't worry unless there is something unusual, in which case please consult your doctor. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do thank you . Doctor going back to the tag situation , if it was stuck and her cells started to turn abnormal would there be symptoms with this before its cancer .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With abnormal cells I mean not the inflammation ect ,
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Again repeating what I previously said this is just a theoretical risk and yes it would cause symptoms. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So we'd at leaSt know to help her before it turned to cancer
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes that is what I have saying all along even if there is theoretical risk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes what I'm trying to think about is that it's in question as to whether or not the inflammation and fibrosis would cause symptoms but can j feel sure that if cells turned abnormal there would be symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes you can be assured that you will prevent this theoretical risk. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry for all questions its just that what's worrying me is that you said the risk of cancer is non existent which makes me feel better but is this only because you said the body will manifest problems and complications to let us know there is inflammation ? I still have an eminent of doubt because of my GP friend being adamant that there will not always be symptoms and therefore I'm thinking if there isn't symptoms and the object stays there it could cause cancer without us knowing .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I can speak only for myself and cannot clarify what your GP friend said. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but is this the only reason you said the risk of cancer is non existent? Because the body will let us know or because this type of incident will not cause cancer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I mean to say is is it because there are no clinical study that shows a risk for cancer associated with swallowing a foreign body .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes there is no evidence till date that this has happened in anyone who had swallowed a foreign body. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so when you say there's a risk if there is chronic inflammation with no symptoms is that just thoretical and not actually going to happen .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes this is theoretical risk and till date there is no evidence that this has happened in anyone who had swallowed a foreign body. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou and do you think this is unlikely to change in the future due to further research because they are established facts
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes I think so. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I was just taking into account though that link you sent me with the research about chronic inflammation and cancer ? Should I be worried about this .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Regarding the article it is now acknowledged by all doctors that cancer risk is increased in individuals affected by a variety of chronic inflammatory diseases and conditions. However in your specific case you need not worry about this fact. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok in what way does it not apply to my case may I ask ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, First of all you are not sure that anything was swallowed or not. So if not swallowed no reason to worry. Next even if swallowed it will pass through the tract without any adverse complications. So no need to worry. Even in the unlikely event it gets stuck, this will cause symptoms which will lead to treatment and removal preventing any chronic inflammation. So no need to worry. In conclusion what I am saying is that there is no reason for worry about the theoretical possibility of cancer which is very unlikely. Please relax. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I remember you sending me that but again we come down to there is a chance there may not be symptoms . So would that artical still not apply
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, That article would not apply to your specific case. However I referenced the article since you asked a hypothetical question. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thabkyou so if she had the chronic inflammation without symptoms would that artical still not apply
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Again you are asking a hypothetical question and my answer is that based on present evidence there is a theoretical risk. However let me repeat this again in your specific case there is no risk. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you and do you say there's no risk because even if it causes inflammation without symptoms there's no current evidence other than the theoretical one to show there is a risk
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, In your specific case there is no risk due to the many reasons I listed above. Only because of your hypothetical question I had to answer that there was a theoretical risk based on the present evidence accepted by all doctors. My intention was not to increase your worry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I know and I'm glad you've been honest . It just troubles me that I may not be able to count on there being symptoms to prevent any cancer arising from this .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, We should not worry about hypothetical scenarios. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . Can you explain to me why that artical isn't related to me of this incident can cause chronic inflammation without possible symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, First of all you are not sure that anything was swallowed or not. So if not swallowed no reason to worry. Next even if swallowed it will pass through the tract without any adverse complications. So no need to worry. Even in the unlikely event it gets stuck, this will cause symptoms which will lead to treatment and removal preventing any chronic inflammation. So no need to worry. In conclusion what I am saying is that there is no reason for worry about the theoretical possibility of cancer which is very unlikely. Please relax.Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did read that fully but I can't 100 per cent feel confident about this bit because my GP friend was adamant there might not always be symptoms :
. Even in the unlikely event it gets stuck, this will cause symptoms which will lead to treatment and removal preventing any chronic inflammation. So no need to worry. Therefore I'm so scared there's a risk of cancer if this happens
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, According to me there is no risk of cancer in your specific case. I cannot comment about your GP. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you still say that if there were to be chronic inflammation without symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You do realize that this is a hypothetical question right. This is not related to your case at all. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I don't understand when it's a possibility
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, What you are asking is a hypothetical question and when I answer it please don't infer and relate it to your case. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is chronic inflammation And chronic inflammation disease two different things ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. This is again a theoretical question which is totally unrelated to your situation. I think you mean inflammatory bowel disease. There are many diseases which have chronic inflammation as the main underlying event. However this is pathological discussion which we may have, but is unrelated to your event. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sorry what I mean to say is with the theoretical risk of cancer . Taking the artical into account would this only be applied to people AFFECTED by the symptoms of the chronic inflammation ? Therefore if there is no affect apparent is there no risk ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's ok doctor I think I've got it in my head now !.... Does "theoretical risk " mean that something like chronic inflammation can maybe cause cancer but in my case there is no evidence that chronic inflammation caused by a foreign body can cause cancer ? Am I right to think that ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes you are correct. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm with you now on it all . I panicked and couldn't get my head around it . So there's no actual risk of it ever happening in reality it's just theoretical because this inflammation can cause cancer but not from a stuck foreign body but other types of inflammation . Is that how you would describe theoretical risk .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see . So is it ok to think that even if she did have the chronic inflammation without symptoms from this object getting stuck . This wouldn't be a cancer risk as there is no actual evidence to say that this occurs from there being inflammation from an object .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I have answered this hypothetical question before. In your case there is no risk of cancer. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I've read so much . Is this because there's no evidence of inflammation caused in this way linked with cancer ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Again this is a theoretical question which is unrelated to your situation. You must not worry about this. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I just wanted to ask though is it because it's not been proven to happen or because youvthinknthrte would be symptoms to show the inflammation
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I have answered this before. This theoretical knowledge does not apply in your case and you may open a new question thread for this hypothetical question and please clearly state that this is a hypothetical question unrelated to you and you just want information and knowledge about inflammation and cancer. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was this your answer ? It means insignificant since this is just theoretical and not seen practically till date. Who would I ask that question too oncology again ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Ask this question in oncology again saying that this is a hypothetical question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I have done that but nobody has responded . I don't know if people are available on a Sunday .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Please wait for the answer. Since it is a hypothetical question, this is not an emergency. My advice to you would be to consult a cognitive behavioral therapist to know whether you suffer from excessive anxiety. I say this since I want you to feel better and to decrease your worry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am getting some help via my GP as I am having a bit of anxiety postnatally . I just want to look after her well and keep her safe and when things like this happen I really panic . I seem to still be worrying about this due to there being a possibility that the tag could be stuck as it is so sharp and that there may not be symptoms to show this and all though i know it's not been proven as yet that this could cause cancer I worry this could change in the future and that there's a chance it might and it just really frightens me and I just feel awful that it's my fault that it could happen to her . I am sorry I have gone on so much .
Sorry to ask but could you just break down for me why this is seen as hyperthetical .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I have already done that. Please wait for another doctor to do so with the new question that you have started. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Ravoof .
My question has still not been picked up and it has been over 24 hours? Do you know how long it will take roughly .
Many thanks .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Sorry that this is taking such a long time. Please contact customer support and they will guide you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou I will . May I ask you something while I'm waiting .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I think we have discussed this topic in depth and I would just have to repeat my answers. Please wait for the answer in your other questions that you have opened. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Ravoof I can't believe you have sent me this when you know how concerned I am about this .
What is this artical ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. I know that you are concerned and I was myself concerned about it, hence did a lot of research and finally found an article that conclusively proves the mechanism of cancer development in foreign bodies. This will put an end to all disagreements regarding this topic. Take care.
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then I will accept your offer I will click on the link above .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have done this correctly
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for the reply. Please find the article linked below: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.23125/pdf Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So is this artical theoretic or proven ? should I now be concerned if my daughter has swallowed this item it will cause cancer for her .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, This article has appeared in the International Journal of Cancer and is an authentic article proving that foreign bodies have been a source of cancer. This article highlights the various mechanisms by which this might happen. However in your case I maintain that your daughter has no risk of cancer due to the incident. Please do not worry. If these exact same events had occurred to my son I would not worry for a moment about cancer. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is my incident different to the ones in the artical though to know she has no risk ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned above first of all you are not sure that anything was swallowed or not. Also the way you described the symptoms of your daughter, she has not swallowed any foreign body. So if not swallowed no reason to worry. Next even if swallowed it will pass through the tract without any adverse complications. This occurs in majority of cases. So no need to worry. Even in the unlikely event it gets stuck, this will cause symptoms especially in the gastrointestinal tract or respiratory tract, which will lead to treatment and removal of the foreign body preventing any chronic inflammation. So no need to worry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but again we are no further forward as it is the symptoms that are in question isn't it .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes the symptoms are in question. And I believe that in these two organ systems it is extremely rare for a foreign body to get stuck without causing symptoms. Therefore I have maintained that there is no reason to worry about cancer. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But this tag is so tiny it could get stuck without knowing and then cause cancer .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Even though tiny this cannot get stuck in the gastrointestinal tract and will cause symptoms or other complications such as ulceration, obstruction, or stricture which will manifest with symptoms such as change in bowel habits with pain. Therefore please do not worry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I can't fully feel confident in this as my GP still maintains that there isn't always symptoms with a retained foreign body and they are sometimes found by accident such as if people go for a colonoscopy at the age of 50 as routine they find an object that they never knew was there as there has been no symptoms . I'm scared this could be the case with my daughter . If it is can that cause cancer if it's in there with no symptoms or is it only if it is causing the symptoms discussed that there's a cancer risk .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Yes the mechanism of development of cancer will cause symptoms due to the chronic inflammation and irritation. However in your case as I have maintained there is no risk of cancer occurring. This is my position which I have maintained right from the beginning and I cannot comment on other doctor's views. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I think that this article proves that foreign bodies have been a source of cancer, but it also indicates that foreign bodies are not always a source of cancer. Do you think it's safe to say that this article does not change that there is no clinical evidence of a cancer risk associated with swallowing a foreign body. Therefore, I'm hoping it does not change that there is no clinical evidence of a cancer risk for my daughter .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes you are now absolutely correct. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so is it only relevant to bigger foreign bodies such as breast implants ect . And should I be afraid in the future it could change and say swallowed foreign bodies can cause cancer ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, It is relevant for all foreign bodies, though the risk is different based on the location and material. However in your particularly case there is no risk for cancer due to the various reasons I have outlined above. You have no reason to be afraid. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I can feel assured that there is no risk due to there not being any clinical evidence in my scenario . Is it still just thearetical ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Yes you can rest assured that there is no risk in your case since there has never been any such case till date that I know of. This is just a theoretical risk and not seen practically. And also even theoretically the risk is very very low and does not occur in all cases. Hence please do not worry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that in the whole world there has not been a case ? And is this likely to change though with future research and taking this article into account ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, There have been no case reports that I know of. Also this is unlikely to change in the future as well. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that with taking the article into account ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes taking the article into account. I would not personally worry about cancer in your case. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though it said about carcinnogenises can happen 20 years after latent period ? Also is there any risk of childhood cancer or leukaemia because of this ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
That article was for your hypothetical question and not related to your actual incident. Even though it said that it can occur after a long duration in certain cases, there is no risk in your case for any type of cancer.
Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That includes leukemia do you mean .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually Doctor Ravoof the more I think about this the more I am not happy . When you sent me the offer of the article this morning I was physically sick waiting to find out what it said . I feel you sent me this with such a high price to pay because you knew how anxious I was . If this article is not related why bring it up in the first place to add to my worry . It hasn't helped me in any way as our discussions are still the same and areas of concern .
I would like to request a refund . Do I do this through yourself or customer services.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Regarding this you need to contact the customer services. The article was in relation to your hypothetical question about the foreign body getting stuck and the theoretical risk. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but you knew I was consulting with another oncologist so I just feel you knew how scared I was and that I would pay for this .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
It was an offer for additional services and for the hours I took in investigating your case and consulting other doctors and colleagues. This is how I get paid for my services to you. You accepted the offer and now if you want a refund I have no problem with it. You may contact the customer services. I wish well for you and your family.
Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have contacted customer services . I just don't know how you thought this article would help me ? And I hadn't requested you to carry on investigating it all for me infact you told me you had answered all my questions . This article shows foreign bodies such as asbestos and cigarette smoke ect do cause cancer it doesn't reference what has happened with my child in possibly swallowing something so I pray that this type of foreign body isn't a cancer trigger but waking up to this article this morning as I said made me sick and worry more all day which is so hard when your caring for a small baby .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also Dr Ravoof I have just had s conversation with a further oncologist as you advised me . I have asked about chronic inflammation ect and they say it's absolutely ridiculous to state that whenever there is chronic inflammation there is s cancer risk . So again I'm not sure why you advised me of this as that is two professionals now that have reassured me of this ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to comment on this for me Dr
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I respect all the experts and value their opinion. I won't comment on another doctors opinion. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that but am I right to think this is what you were telling me ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
"Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. It is time to start a new thread if you have any more doubts. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What even though it's not a new question just clarification on something we have already discussed ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. I have repeated many times and you may read my previous answers. My opinion is the same. Take care.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
In your case there is no risk of cancer. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was the previous comments I'm Just trying to clarify and get my head around ;
"However if it gets stuck and there is chronic inflammation then there is definitely a risk for cancer."
"VAny chronic inflammation may change the cells to abnormal cells and eventually to cancer cells."
Then I said ;
"Ok so am I right to think it could stay in her body with minor chronic inflammation that doesn't show in any way . And that would not cause cancer ."
You replied ;"Yes that would not cause cancer."This is where I'm confused and just wanted some clarification .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, These are all the answers to your hypothetical questions and are accurate. However as I have repeatedly reminded you that in your particular case there is absolutely no practical risk of cancer. Please relax and don't worry about it anymore. Thanks. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But why do you class it as hyoerthetical ?
And I feel like the comments sometimes state that chronic inflammation will cause cancer and then other comments state it doesn't .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I have been trying to be very clear about my opinion to you and have explained it to you in the best possible way that I can. I cannot explain it better. Sorry. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So do you mean then that people can have fibrosis and chronic inflammation but it doesn't cause any problems or symptoms so that won't cause cancer but if it is major enough to cause symptoms then that could cause cancer ? Is that why there is no medical evidence of foreign bodies causing cancer because they aren't always a problem .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I have answered all these hypothetical questions before and I cannot answer them better now. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But could you not just say if my interpretation is correct or not ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I request you again will you reply to Me?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Please post if you have any new question and me or another expert on this site will answer you. Take care.