Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am wondering if you can help me. I'm 25 years old and

Customer Question

Hi, I am wondering if you can help me. I'm 25 years old and am still living at home in a rural town in Wales. Despite having a degree in maths I work in my parents shop and don't have the confidence to apply for any other job. I don't have any friends locally and I spend virtually all of my spare time daydreaming. I've always done this but recently it's got a lot worse and every day I'll just lie in my room. These dreams always follow a similar theme, that my life has turned out differently and that I'm the very best at something (the best rugby player or have become prime minister). When they boil over and I return to reality I will lie in bed thinking of various ways to kill myself (I don't think that this is that serious though, it's just an overreaction to the boredom I'm feeling and I think it's unlikely I ever would actually commit suicide). There's no one I can really talk to about any of this. My problem seems to be that I'm stuck in a rut, I hate living at home and need a clean break. Do you agree? Thank You!
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Yes, I agree.You also have clinical depression and need treatment for thatI recommend seeing your GP for counseling referral and medications
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been scared to see my GP partly because I don't think that there's that much wrong with me and I'd be wasting her time, and partly because I can't really describe how I feel to her anyway. Is clinical depression serious? From what I've just read it seems quite vague. Some of the symptoms are relevant to me, especially on bad days but I have better days as well.
Yes, it is seriousTrust me on this.The GP will be able to identify and treat the problem right awayyou don't see it but you have severe depression
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for your help.
welcome. Happy new year ;)