DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

What is vasovagal syncopes &what can be done about it

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. Vasovagal syncope is one of the most common causes of fainting and occurs when the body reacts excessively to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress.This trigger will cause a sudden drop in the heart rate and blood pressure, and leads to reduced blood flow to the brain, which results in a brief loss of consciousness.Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and normally does not require any treatment. But it's possible that one may injure himself during a vasovagal syncope episode by fainting. Also, before diagnosing this condition your doctor may recommend tests to rule out more-serious causes of fainting, such as heart disorders. After other conditions have been ruled out, your doctor and you should identify your fainting triggers and discuss ways you might avoid them. Also there are certain medications which your doctor may prescribe to decrease your symptoms of fainting. Your doctor may advice foot exercises, and wearing of compression stockings or tensing your leg muscles when standing, and increasing salt in your diet if you don't usually have high blood pressure. Prolonged standing especially in hot, crowded places needs to be avoided and you should drink plenty of fluids. However if you still feel like you might faint, you need to lie down and lift your legs, and this will allow gravity to keep blood flowing to your brain. Take care. Please accept the answer by clicking five stars. Thanks.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloTo know if it is vasovagal, or likely to be, tell me exactly what happens. Is that a diagnosis from a doctor, or something you are guessing at? For example, if you have heart palpatations, you should be in the ER, as this can be a serious and life threatening cause of fainting.Given your age, the causes of fainting often overlap.Common triggers are emotional distress, straining at a bowel movement, standing to long, urination, having blood drawn and others.There are indeed medications used for this. Midodrine is used for example.There are also physical therapies, and compression stockings.There is even a type of pacemaker in some cases.You need to see an internal medicine, board certified as I am, for an assessment, and one who has geriatric training.This is actually a complicated area and can be dangerous if not addressed.I am a double board certified clinical doctor.Let me, Dr. Thomas, know if you have more questions.Please click a positive rating at the top of my answer page so I am credited.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Thomas , MD

Thank you for your reply It is very assuring .I ,m at the present moment waiting for an appointment at the local hospital and await the outcome of this .

Thank you for your comments once again

Mr D>C> Kingsnorth

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome anytimeany questions at allplease let me know how it goes