DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I've just recently started Prozac liquid form only a low

Hi I've just recently started Prozac liquid form only a low dose of 2.5mg for PMDD / PMS and mild on and off anxiety and depression that I have been experiencing the last 6 months ; I am just going into my third week. I have seen improvements in mood initially but on some days an increase in anxiety however the last 2 days my mood has worsened with unexpected tears, dark thoughts, panic feelings and a loud buzzing in my ears which gets worse at night and is heightening my anxiety. The ear buzzing is really bothering me. I am not sure if these are common side effects and I am really not enjoying the way I am feeling right now. I was contemplating stopping the medication, but know this is not wise. Do I continue to take it and for how long should I expect such side effects ? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I am worried about increasing the dose as I am sensitive to side effects. Should I titrate by another 1mg or wait and see what happens on the 2.5mg dose for a couple of weeks which will then be 4 full weeks since I started taking it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My reason for asking about titration is that I am wondering why the medication was initially effective and now having an adverse effect - is this because I am not taking a high enough dose? My GP said start off with 2.5mg daily for a 4-6 weeks.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThese can be side effects.It is less likely on a low dose but possible.We are not going to advise you on what to do with your dose.That is only up to your doctor, and you should not be doing that on your own.You need to report these effects to your doctor.If it were me, I would change the medication entirely. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for your response. What other medication would you recommend ? Also is it common to feel good initially and for the medication to then make you feel bad suddenly ? I had minor side effects until week 3. They are now becoming unbearable and affecting sleep, which has surprised me given that it is only a 2.5mg dose. Thanks.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
There are at least a dozen medicine choices, from SSRIs like prozac to SNRIs
All newer than prozac.
Yes you can start having side effects from a medicine at any time, or, you are on an insufficient dose. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.