Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr love . I have just had this response from Dr Ravoof .

Customer Question

Hi Dr love .
I have just had this response from Dr Ravoof . I feel relieved but I just wanted to see if you agree with it as I feel maybe I was reading conflicting advice and I just wanted to ask what your thoughts were with this before I relax fully about the matter .
Claire ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With all the present evidences and information the risk of cancer in practical terms is non existent. Though there is a theoretical risk, this is not practically possible since a foreign body will be detected by manifesting with other complications in the gastrointestinal tract and will not be present for such a long time to cause chronic inflammation related cancer. Also cancer will not occur in all patients with chronic inflammation. The cells will repair any damage caused by the chronic inflammation in majority of cases and will not turn malignant. Hence please do not worry about any long term complications.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. As I said in our other discussion, there is no clinical evidence of risk for cancer after swallowing a foreign body, such as your child has done. Therefore, I agree with his statement that the risk is non-existent. Also in our discussion, when you commented upon the concern for cancer expressed to you, I told you at the time that it is at worst a theoretic concern and that there was no evidence in the medical literature that supported that there is any risk for cancer. Dr. Ravoof now apparently also states that this is, at worst, a theoretic concern, and I agree with that, as I originally stated. When there is no risk for cancer, there are many possible mechanisms for why there may be no risk for cancer, and his explanation is one of the possible reasons, but the exact mechanism cannot be known, and it does not really matter, since there is no risk for cancer. I am glad that Dr. Ravoof have now come to agree with my original statement that there is no risk for cancer, and I hope that you can get some relief from the concern about the situation. Is this the information you are seeking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thank you very much for your thorough answer . May I just ask do you agree with this bit ;
Though there is a theoretical risk, this is not practically possible since a foreign body will be detected by manifesting with other complications in the gastrointestinal tract and will not be present for such a long time to cause chronic inflammation related cancer.
Claire .
I prefer the explanation that I gave. Any foreign body that is swallowed will almost always pass through the gut. In the rare situations in which it may be retained, there is no evidence that it will cause cancer. It is impossible to know whether there is a retained foreign object that is not causing symptoms, because we never look for a retained foreign body that is not causing symptoms. Therefore, it is also impossible to say that a retained foreign body will be manifested by causing other symptoms or complications in the GI tract. However, even though it is impossible to say whether a retained foreign body may or may not cause symptoms, we can certainly sat that there is no evidence for an increased risk of cancer related to swallowing foreign bodies. Anything beyond that is speculation, but the bot***** *****ne is that there is no risk for cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou and what I've come to tell myself is that at worst case scenario if this situation did turn cells abnormal there would be symptoms then wouldn't there to see to things before cancer occurred ?
It is impossible to say. Since the risk is theoretic, it is impossible to know what the early stages of a theoretic disease process would be or whether it would involve a stage during which there are symptoms to see before cancer occurred. What can be said is that there is no risk for cancer, so this aspect of the issue is irrelevant and will only drive you more crazy. Even Dr. Ravoof has now agreed that the cancer risk is non-existent.
If we are done addressing this line of questions, please remember to provide a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did feel better for rading that but I just felt concerned because I think he feels it's non existent because the body will manifest complications in other ways to see to the chronic inflammation before it causes cancer . But you didn't agree with this and that's what still worried me if I'm honest.
I did not agree with it because it is impossible to say what reason there is no risk for cancer. But it does not matter what mechanism results in the fact that there is no risk for cancer. The fact remains that there is no risk for cancer. So, why are you worried about a risk for cancer when both experts are telling you that there is no risk for cancer? If you are only willing to expose your child to substances in which the mechanism by which there is no risk for cancer is known, then you are going to drive yourself crazy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it sounds crazy but what I mean is that you didn't agree that there would be symptoms with chronic inflammation and I feel that doctor ravoof is still saying if chronic inflammation is left there is still a theoretical risk for cancer . And that's what is concerning me as it will be left unnoticed and the risk for cancer is there ? Am I not right in thinking that ?
There is no risk for cancer in this situation. Ask Dr. Ravoof to provide you with any clinical study that shows a risk for cancer associated with swallowing a foreign body or a case report in which it is even postulated that a swallowed foreign body may have contributed to the development of cancer. The generic discussion that inflammation may have a role in some cancer that he has already provided is not pertinent to this situation, since we also know that there are many situations of chronic inflammation that do not create a risk for cancer. If he cannot provide you with any report from the clinical literature, then there is no reason for you to be concerned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did just ask and this was the response :
Yes this is theoretical risk and till date there is no evidence that this has happened in anyone who had swallowed a foreign body.
So, as I said, there is no evidence of any risk for cancer. There is consequently no reason for any further discussion. There is no reason for you to be concerned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much . I know we can't read the future but I'm just thinking about that link Dr ravoof sent me the other day about chronic inflammation and the link with cancer and I know there is no risk at present but with this research could this change or will it not because we have established facts ?
Many thanks .
It is always possible that new information will come to light. But that is also true for the hundreds of other substances to which your child will come into contact over the next days and weeks and the thousands of substances to which she will come in contact throughout her childhood. If you worry about everything for which there is currently no evidence of risk because there may be risk found in the future, you will truly drive yourself crazy. Please remember to provide a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I understand that but would you say at present that artical does not apply to my case .
When you first shared the article with me, I told you that the article did not apply to this situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . Sorry I just really hope it's unlikely research will change in regards ***** ***** facts with this situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just really wish I could count on symptoms showing to let me know if something wasn't right. It just scares me that there may not be any and then this situation could cause cancer years down the line for her .
It is very unlikely, because it is not common that we newly discover a risk for cancer, but only time will tell.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything that will be apparent to me at all if this tag was stuck in her anywhere ?
We have already discussed this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it's just Dr Ravoof said this and I'm not sure if to believe it or not
Before the chronic inflammation occurring the foreign body would have caused many other complications which would be symptomatic and therefore lead to its removal. So no need to be afraid of it causing cancer.
I addressed this again above. You can choose to believe what you want to believe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you not appreciate that for me it's taking one persons word over another . It's so hard . He said this also ;
Dear customer,Thanks for your reply.
if there is continued inflammation then there would be symptoms which will lead to treatment due to complications, and this would prevent the theoretical risk for cancer. However if the foreign body does not cause any reaction in the body then there would not even be theoretical risk for cancer since there is no continued inflammation.
I understand that you have no reason to believe one doctor over another, which is why I challenged you to ask him for any clinical literature to support an cancer risk. I am not asking you to believe me because I said it or because it is my personal opinion. I am asking you to believe that there is no clinical evidence of any risk in the medical literature, and even the other expert cannot provide you with any clinical literature that there is any risk. In addition, I feel certain that if your ask her Pediatrician about this issue, the Pediatrician will agree with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did wonder that . She doesn't have her own paediatrician so you think for me to be able to check we could ask a paediatrian to come in in this conversation maybe ?
You would need to post a separate question in the Pediatric category. But on the other hand, you need to get her a Pediatrician, even if this had not occurred. Please provide a positive rating for answering these questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . Dr love may I asking knkw the artical Dr Ravoof sent me in regards ***** ***** inflammation causing cancer . He said that was recognised by all doctors . I'm just wondering how the artical doesn't link in with my case ? Could you explain that to me please
I have already answered that. If you want me to re-type it then I need you to provide a positive rating for the answer that I gave to your original question.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do the rating now also I lay consult with a paedoatrician in here for peace of mind . Is it ok to keep this chat Open with you so I can clarify some responses with you if needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you able to explain why that artical would not apply to my case .
Many thanks for your time and patience with me , I just feel sick to my tummy that I may cause risk to my beautiful daughter .
As said in our original discussion, it is certainly true that certain inflammatory conditions will increase the risk for cancer. However, it is also true that there are many inflammatory conditions that is not associated with a cancer risk. So, it is an incorrect interpretation of this article to say that whenever there is chronic inflammation, that there also would be a risk for cancer.
To be able to say whether a particular type of chronic inflammation increases the risk for cancer, there would need to be clinical evidence of that increased risk, and there is no clinical evidence for this situation involving your daughter. Therefore, this article does not apply to the situation involving your daughter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That makes total sense thankyou . Is that what a Theoretical risk means then that this condition can cause cancer meaning inflammation but it's not able too in my case ?
Yes. However, there are many theories for how cancer may develop, not just inflammation, but to be able to say whether any particular theoretic risk factor actually causes cancer would require study.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean there's many theories with my situation that may not have been studied ?
No. I just mean that there are many theories for what causes cancer.
For example, the most common preventable cause of cancer is toxin exposure, such as from cigarettes. But even with the plethora of information about the increased risk of cancer from cigarettes, it is still somewhat unclear what components of cigarette smoke contributes to the cancer risk, and this uncertainty becomes more apparent when we try to consider whether there is cancer risk associated with smoking other substances, such as marijuana, or alternative delivery systems, such as e-cigarettes. There are many theories, but without study, it will not become clear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh ok I understand thankyou for explaining that . Also just thinking Dr Ravoof said there could be risk of cancer with the fibrosis side to things with this tag as well ie if her body has walled it off . Do you think that must be theoretical as well rather than proven .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And just thinking will it not have been studied or looked into that foreign bodies could cause cancer ?
There is no clinical evidence that fibrosis associated with a foreign body increases the risk for cancer.
The studies that are done to look for causes of cancer are usually first performed because of case reports that are associated with a potential risk, and there have not even been isolated case reports of cancers associated with a swallowed foreign body.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's reassuring to know that there hasn't been cause for concern to study this then .
I was thinking too I had quickly Jumped in the shower whilst I left my daughter to play in her cot with a few soft toys . When I came out I was with her for a while and that's when she started coughing a little . Is it possible that she could of swallowed a tag without me whitnessing whilst I was showering or would the reaction to swallowing it of been apparent long enough for me to notice when I came out . ?
It is possible that she could swallow something without you knowing it on every day of her life, because you cannot be watching her every second. But if she is not having symptoms, then there is no reason for concern.
If the foreign body had gotten stuck on the way down, then it would still be causing symptom when you came out of the shower. But most of the time when a child swallows a foreign body, there are no symptoms at all, much less symptoms that would persist until you get out of the shower. And in these cases, there is no reason for concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry do you mean they would of persisted until I got out but in a much less way of it was swallowed but not stuck ?
As I have told you several times, if it was swallowed, but not stuck, it typically would cause no symptoms. But if it had stuck, it would cause symptoms that would have persisted until you got out of the shower.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou yes she would of been struggling to breath or catch her breath wouldnt she and I really think if she had of swallowed it I would know as it is so sharp I don't think it would go down easily .
I have already answered this question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think though I remember you saying once swallowed and it then got stuck there wouldn't be symptoms would there ? Only. If it got stuck in her throat .
I have already answered this question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry . May I ask you a personal question doctor . If this was a scenario with your child would you feel concerned at all or give it a second thought in regards ***** ***** causing cancer in the future .
No, I would not be concerned about anything in the immediate time frame or the distant future. I am sure that my children swallowed something when they were small, as all children like to put things in their mouth, and I am not the least concerned about any future risk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much does that include cancer risk as well . Sorry for my endless questions I'm a first time mum as you've probably guessed and I've just felt so awful about this .
Are you asking me whether cancer risk is included in “anything” and “any future risk”?
How can these statements be interpreted so that it is not included?
I understand that you are anxious, but there is no value in asking and answering the same question multiple times in multiple wordings that do not add any new information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry I was just making sure . Thank you so much for all your information .
You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I forgot to ask doctor she was lying down whilst playing so is there a chance if she swallowed this tag thing that it could have gone up her nose and if so would this be cause for concern?
It it not a concern if she is not having symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou so it would basically be the same information with symptoms and cancer risk whether it was Ear nose or throat ect I don't think it could get to her eyes from her throat could it it's just ent that's all connected .
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou
Welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor I forgot to ask one very last thing if she were to show symptoms of inflammation . Would that still not mean there was a cancer risk .
No, for the reason that I noted above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr love . Me again sorry ! I was just showing my husband my conversation with yourself as he thinks I should of got our baby checked out when this happened :( . One thing I didn't ask if if my baby had inhaled this tag would I know about it . I didn't even think about that as a possibility but my husband pointed it out .
Many thanks in advance .
Claire .
This possibility is included in any discussion of swallowing a foreign body, and I included reference to that when I said that any problems would cause symptoms, and one of the possible symptoms that would indicate a problem would be coughing. If the object had been inhaled into the airways in the process of swallowing, there would have been significant coughing, not the minor coughing that you noted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . I did think it would be slightly more noticeable the coughing if it was inhaled but then I thought maybe I could have missed this coughing whilst I was in the shower and it could have settled by the time I got out .
If it has been inhaled and stays there is this a problem ?
It has not been inhaled since there is no coughing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is no continued coughing . Only the coughing I observed at the time and here and there as normal .
So it has not been inhaled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much . I've reassured my husband of this also...
There is no clinical evidence that chronic inflammation associated with a foreign body increases the risk for cancer. Have I got this right .
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much .
You are welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . I was thinking about it too and my baby had played with these toys a handful of times before I noticed the tag remaining so I suppose there's a possibility age could of swallowed a tag before I noticed and became concerned . If this has happened more than once is there more concern or does the information remain the same in regards ***** ***** of anything .
The answer is the same, as it will be every time that you leave your child for a moment for the rest of her life.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so it doesn't highten risk of cancer or anything if it does happen more than once.
The answer is the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks . I just wanted to check that all the previous information that we discussed would still apply in this case
As I said, the answer is the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr love .
Dr Ravoof has just sent me this artical ? I don't know what to make of it now I feel really scared would you take a look for me please .
Many thanks .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.23125/pdf
This is a different article and discussion, so would need to be posted as a separate question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will request you again .
Very good.