Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have very shaky and jerky hands, not all the time but in

I have very shaky and jerky hands, not all the time but in the last year it has become worse. My doctor has prescribed Propranalol 40mg twice a day (I have been taking a lower dose for years before this). I think that this is not helping but I'm not sure. I am mostly unable to hold a cup without shaking quite badly and writing is now difficult.
My medical background is that I have dystonia and have 3 monthly botox injections in my neck which is very beneficial for me.
I realise that this is probably part of my Dystonia condition or possibly it could be symptoms for something else? I think it is part of my condition but knowing that doesn't help - I am going to see my own doctor again in 3 weeks but I wondered if there is anything you can suggest which may help my symptoms, I would like another opinion - this is making my home, work and social life very difficult.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.I think that instead of propranolol primidone may help in your case, which is something that I would try in your case.I would like that you should mention this to your doctor.Let me know if you have more questions.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why do you think primidone may help, I haven't heard of this one.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Primidone and propranolol are cornerstones of medical therapy for such a problem.If propranolol does not work then primidone is the next option, which is why I mentioned this.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** mention this to my doctor. Can you also tell me how long (what period of time) should be between each dosage of propranolol? How long before the effect wears off?

What is the best way to take propranolol - should it be taken the same time every day or when I feel it is needed?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Actually it can be taken as required or regularly.
Propanolol is effective in about 50% of the people who take it for your shaking.
Since you have not responded the next step is to try and use primidone.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.
Kindest regards