Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My question is about hypoglycaemia: I've been suffering

Hi, my question is about hypoglycaemia:
I've been suffering from regular bouts of dizziness, headaches and nausea for years, in the last year the symptoms got worse - more like hypoglycaemia. It always happens for a few days before my period, and at the middle of my cycle. I was recently told to buy a glucose meter to figure out what's happening, I did that.
On a normal day, my readings are: 4.8 (fasting), an average of 5.9 (1 hour after eating), average of 5.5 (2 hours after eating), I only got one high reading that took well over 4 hours to go down - I think I can cross off pre-diabetes/diabetes lol.
On a bad day: 4.7-5.0 (fasting), 6.4-7.4 (within 30 minutes of eating), 5.0-5.3 (1 hour), 4.8 (approx. 2 hours), 10-30 minutes after this the hypoglycaemia symptoms start. At night I suffer from insomnia/nightmares if my levels are below 5.0 when I go to bed.
I've managed to stop the weight loss by cutting back on sugar.
Why is this happening? Do I need to change my diet? Should I be worried? Is it to do with my hormones? I am wondering whether it happens every day - I might not be picking up on the symptoms all the time, or I ate a snack before it got too low.
Not sure if it's important, but I'm on medication for epilepsy and underactive thyroid (medication levels have been checked), and I'm gluten intolerant. My weight is healthy for my height, and my blood sugar levels were checked a year ago - it was normal.
Sarah
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.These numbers are considered in normal range.But you do feel symptoms on slight drop in blood sugar level.That is possible with diet changes.Can be hormonal as well.Stress and anxiety also can cause this.Hence, you will need to change your diet little bit.Include more complex carbs like fruits, vegetables.They will be digested slowly and release blood sugar in the body slowly without any spikes.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/