How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 56575
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

I am a 74 year old female and recovering from full replacement

Customer Question

I am a 74 year old female and recovering from full replacement hip surgery which occurred six months ago. A week after being discharged from hospital I experienced an explosion of pain in my right hip and leg whilst walking gently with my crutches. I was taken by ambulance and re-admitted to hospital. My consultant could not tell me what had happened and told me it was just 'one of those things'. I was eventually discharged after a further week of gentle exercise. On a subsequent outpatient appointment my consultant advised that an x-ray taken that day revealed a small avulsion of the tip of the greater trochanter and went on to say that it was nothing to worry about. My husband and I could see the piece of bone that had torn away on the x-ray.
I am in constant pain and an MRI has shown arthritis in the lumbosacral area explaining the mechanical facet pain I am experiencing. I can understand this but I would dearly like to know what, if anything, can be done about the avulsion and why I am still experiencing pain in the hip area, around where the avulsion occurred.
Many thanks,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,There are number of reasons for post operative pain after hip replacement surgery, One of them is greater trochanteric region pain which is attributed to small bone which appeared on x-rays. It causes inflammation of the surrounding structures and thus pain. Pain usually settles down with time as inflammation goes away but if after six months you are still suffering from moderated to severe pain then i would suggest you to visit pain physician who can offer you nerve block around hip or a steroid injection in lumbosacral area which can relieve inflammation and pain. You can get some relief by physiotherapy as well.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is a different expert and I have a different answer for you.In fact, lower spine arthritis often refers pain to the hip. Hip problems refer to groin in many cases.This stumps many doctors, but it is a fact.You need therapy not just post operatively, but for the lower spine as well.You should be working with an MD specialist of physical medicine and rehabilitation. These MDs can handle injections along with therapy. Injections alone are temporary and do not fix any structural problems.Your surgeon, in addition, needs to make sure the prosthesis is aligned, and also, that it is not infected.The avulsion is simply a small piece of bone torn off, as in a severe sprain [to speak analagously]. This is not the only issue here and the other issues need to be addressed. A comprehensive program is needed.I am a double board certified clinical doctor.Find me anytime in medical: "for Dr. Thomas only". By the way, in the UK the physical medicine doctor is called a non invasive orthopedist. Not a physiotherapist. The physiotherapist should follow the plan of the doctor.Please click a positive rating.let me know if you have further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend getting tested for goutGout can present like this after surgeryA simple blood test for uric acid is indicated