Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Can a Dermatologist please help with my matter? I suffered

Can a Dermatologist please help with my matter? I suffered from longterm fungal skin infection in 2015, the fungus was removed after two courses of Itraconazole. However, I was left with lichen in my skin and numerous LSC lesions, and due to the lack of medical information, my skin barrier became eroded from head to toe. I have lichen stuck to my scalp, throughout my face and body, and my hand and toe nails are either bitten down or the surface is damaged. I have learned that lichen is a symbiotic partner of fungus.I have tried my utmost with this for many months; steroid cream has repeatedly failed with the LSC lesions, Elidel seemed to work, but they returned, home light therapy has helped with the skin barrier, but I suffer bad headaches from it. I am applying Vaseline/Hydromol and moisturiser before getting out of the bath. My suffering has been horrendous and it is persisting; I would like to know:1. Shouldn't the Itraconazole have also killed the lichen? If so, should I have been given a further course of Itraconazole?2. What treatment is left to cure me of this lichen in my skin?.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a pic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to publish online, but I have already stated what my condition is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please answer the questions: Would further Itraconazole have removed lichen also? Do you think oral immunosuppressants are indicated now, since nothing else is working?
1)No. LIchen often comes with fungal infections but it is not treated by antifungals2)Absolutely. Immunosuppressants are needed. Humira is one example. They are very safe and work well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answers. I have to see Dermatologist privately this week.